+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help, girl friend on visitor visa, planning to get married

kan12

Aug 19, 2010
hello,
sorry for so many questions, but i want to get the details properly. my girlfriend is currently in Canada on visitor visa and we are planning to get married soon. Right now since her visitor visa is about to expire in 2 months we are going to have a civil ceremony so that for her visitor visa renewal application, we can show that we have now been married and we will be filing for her PR shortly.

however i just noticed that to get the marriage certificate takes anywhere between 1-2 months. my question was is there any other paper we can include for her renewal of visitor visa application that will show we are now married that they will accept as marriage certificate will not reach us in time when we apply for the renewal.

has anyone else been through the same experience. if you can please help i would really appreciate the same.

costacro

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
The moment you get married in the city hall or other civil ceremony after the ceremony has been completed they provide you with a paper i think its called marriage record. It has your names date and place and some other things. We included that and afterwards forwarded the certificate when we got it. Just when you send in write a note saying the certiicate will be sent in to them as soon as you receive it since you were inormed it would take up to 1-2 mnths. And that marriage record she can change her last name with if she has any canadian Id 's. hope the info was useful.

kan12

Aug 19, 2010
hello Castro,
thank you for your help and information. did this work for you. were you able to then renew the visitor visa for your spouse.

thanks again for helping with this

costacro

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
For us it was a different story. It was for our spousal sponsorship application ( what will follow you next). And no one said ot sent anything back. But also when you goonline to order your certificate i think theres a faster option to receive it as well we didnt bother since we had the marriage record as proof. Cause you cant fake one lol