+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please explain to me step by step on how to bring my vehicle from the States??

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
My Car was also in Canada , and I took it back to the US to cross it over with the stamped title after they had it at the US office for the 72 hours.

It would be great if you did not have to back to the border with the car.

I called several times to the crossing , and each time I was given the same information. I had to send the title Fedex at least 72 hours in advance, and I had to pick it up at that US crossing , and then bring the car back into Canadan to be able to register it here.

I wish you the best, I would have preferred not to have taken the drive back also.

Maybe you can find another solution.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
THanks Hoping75,

So once you got your stamp on your title you didn't have to wait any long then right? I have read someone saying they had to stay 3 days after getting it so...

I am so nervous about sending in the title! Did you have to send in any other letter or documents with it? I did not even find an address for the border crossing..maybe I need to look closely.

Thanks~~

hoping75 said:
My Car was also in Canada , and I took it back to the US to cross it over with the stamped title after they had it at the US office for the 72 hours.

It would be great if you did not have to back to the border with the car.

I called several times to the crossing , and each time I was given the same information. I had to send the title Fedex at least 72 hours in advance, and I had to pick it up at that US crossing , and then bring the car back into Canadan to be able to register it here.

I wish you the best, I would have preferred not to have taken the drive back also.

Maybe you can find another solution.

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
michaelab said:
THanks Hoping75,

So once you got your stamp on your title you didn't have to wait any long then right? I have read someone saying they had to stay 3 days after getting it so...

I am so nervous about sending in the title! Did you have to send in any other letter or documents with it? I did not even find an address for the border crossing..maybe I need to look closely.

Thanks~~

I picked up my stamped title and immedietly drove to the Canadian customs . They send you inside with your title, they fill out the paperwork and send you on your way. I had to pay 220.00 import fee also.

The 72 hours is how long the US office needs to have your title in hand to do all the verifications on it. You don't need to wait after you get the title back from them.
I walked into the US office and received my title back , which took about 2 minutes. I then drove to the Canadian side, which took about 15 minutes to complete that step. I passed at night so I did not have to wait long. There was only one other person before me.Don't forget to find out the hours that the US side is open. As I mentioned earlier, where I crossed they closed at 9:30 PM weekdays, and closed completely on weekends.

I also had to send a photocopy of the front and back of the title, and also a copy of the car registration. You can send a copy of the car registration, or a copy of your bill of sale for the car.
I sent the copy of the registration.

If you call the office where you will be crossing the car, they will give you an address where you have FedEx deliver your package.

I recommend that you also keep a photocopy of the front and back of your title, just in case.

The agents I spoke to were very helpful,and are more than willing to answer any of my MANY questions.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
Hoping75,

Thanks for all the info! I have more questions for you :p sorry..maybe by the time I am done I can write a book about it! ???

When you went to the US side from Canada you went to the secondary building right? And after you got your documents, did you have to go out all the way to the State or did you turn around in the parking lot where the States and Canada share?? I once got lost (don't ask me how) and almost turned around in between and the Canadian border officer stopped me and asked me what I was doing. :-[

One more dilemma to add in my case, my vehicle's title and registration still have both my name and my exhusband's name..although he did sign the back of the title when he gave up the ownership while back. Will it be a problem when I send it off to the border for 72 hr certification? The vehicle is paid off (thankfully!).

It's bad enough I live 5+ hours away from the border, the city in the States I am from is 8+ hours away from the border so if I have to go back and renew my documents I will have to stay in hotel for who knows how long til they are ready. *yikes* I have my kids there but there are no other families there so I cannot stay with anyone.

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
Before getting to the Canadian border side, there was an American office where you enter to pick up the stamped title. It is the same area where trucks that are carrying cars that are being imported into Canada pass through. I just turned off into their parking lot which is very near the Canadian crossing side.

I don't know how it is set up where you would be crossing through, but I am sure they can explain it to you if you call the American border service.

As far as both names on the title I would think it would be Ok since he signed off on it, but I am not certain on that one. I would definately ask an American border agent about that one to be sure.

I was able to get through to the American border agents very easily, hopefully you will have no problem contacting them either.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
Thanks Hoping 75,

The US border person called me back yesterday and pretty much told me the same thing after I explained my situation. He did insist that if my title had a lien on it (which it had but we paid off the car a year ago), I will have to get a letter from the bank to clear it.
I also asked my ex to write a letter to confirm that I am the sole owner of the vehicle..and I am bringing the divorce settlement paper to show if things get confusing (I hope not!).

He also said I will have to wait 72 hours after applying for the export even I fax or mail my title in advance. Maybe it's different border to border? From what he said the office I will be going to won't approve unless they actually see the vehicle. ???

So here I am just waiting for a letter from the bank as well as my ex...more waiting continues!

hoping75 said:
Before getting to the Canadian border side, there was an American office where you enter to pick up the stamped title. It is the same area where trucks that are carrying cars that are being imported into Canada pass through. I just turned off into their parking lot which is very near the Canadian crossing side.

I don't know how it is set up where you would be crossing through, but I am sure they can explain it to you if you call the American border service.

As far as both names on the title I would think it would be Ok since he signed off on it, but I am not certain on that one. I would definately ask an American border agent about that one to be sure.

I was able to get through to the American border agents very easily, hopefully you will have no problem contacting them either.

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
michaelab said:
Thanks Hoping 75,

The US border person called me back yesterday and pretty much told me the same thing after I explained my situation. He did insist that if my title had a lien on it (which it had but we paid off the car a year ago), I will have to get a letter from the bank to clear it.
I also asked my ex to write a letter to confirm that I am the sole owner of the vehicle..and I am bringing the divorce settlement paper to show if things get confusing (I hope not!).

He also said I will have to wait 72 hours after applying for the export even I fax or mail my title in advance. Maybe it's different border to border? From what he said the office I will be going to won't approve unless they actually see the vehicle. ???

So here I am just waiting for a letter from the bank as well as my ex...more waiting continues!
When he says you have to wait 72 hours, it's because they need to have the title 72 hours in advance to check the title, but you don't have to wait to cross after you get the title back. It is just one 72 hour period for them to have it. I called before I left to go to the border to be sure everything was clear before taking the drive.

I would also recommend you find out what hours they are open just to be sure.

good luck with everything

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Hi everyone,

I asked this in another thread, and didn't get an answer. I'm just curious for everyone planning to import their cars (as I plan to), can we get our speedometers modified to show KPH in big numbers, and MPH in small, a-la Canadian style? Would this be a very expensive ordeal, and not even worth it?

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, since this seems to be the car thread I thought I would post my question here.

Does anyone know if one has to have a current and valid registration for the US vehicle in order to import it from the US to Canada? I am a Canadian living in Mexico with a US plated car that I would like to take back to Canada with me when my spouse gets PR visa. The car has expired registration and plate tags from the US. (Under certain circumstances Mexican law does not require US cars to have valid registration, and it is a real hassle and expense to take it back to the US to have all the checks done in order to have a valid US registration).

Thanks

Joe_Gizmo

Nov 10, 2010
Pharoh said:
Hi everyone,

I asked this in another thread, and didn't get an answer. I'm just curious for everyone planning to import their cars (as I plan to), can we get our speedometers modified to show KPH in big numbers, and MPH in small, a-la Canadian style? Would this be a very expensive ordeal, and not even worth it?
Pharoh.....my understanding is that this can be done at Canadian Tire. They can also take care of the running lights. I think the speedometer is a stencil that they apply oover what is there now.