+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advise

5yearswaiting

Apr 3, 2013
Hello,

My mother and father in law came to Canada in April 2013 but left to India in August 2013. My father in law was diagnosed with cancer and they stayed in India for treatment till he expired in 2016.
My mother in law came here to live with us from 2016 September and has been living here since. She went to India in 2017 for 5 months to take care of a few things

Her PR card expires in July. She would complete only one year 8 months by that time. She doesnt have to travel anytime soon as both her sons live in Canada.

Is it better to wait till November to apply for renewal of PR card or can sh apply on humanitarian grounds now for extension?
Can someone please advise?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If she is in Canada now and doesn’t plan to travel anytime soon, there is no requirement to renew her PR card. Wait until she is well in compliance before you do (800+ days) to avoid secondary review. As she has been in Canada since 2016, H&C is probably difficult to prove now. Remember, it’s only the PR card that expires, not her status as a PR. Status doesn’t require an extension or renewing. The PR card is only a travel document.