+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advise

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
titosyr said:
Well I don't have many details like names or cases but an immigration lawyer told me that any Canadians by naturalization will loose their citizenship if they got naturalization in another country, same laws exist in many countries like US, Japan and UK
Lol, immigration lawyer. Is there any Law or Act to quote?
I have few friends that acquired Canadian citizenship and later moved down south where eventually got US citizenship too.
They doing well so far, but put in here the laws ref# to break the big news to them.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
titosyr said:
Well I don't have many details like names or cases but an immigration lawyer told me that any Canadians by naturalization will loose their citizenship if they got naturalization in another country, same laws exist in many countries like US, Japan and UK
Lol, an Immigration Lawyer.
Can you quote a Law/Act/Decision or anything?
I have few friends acquired Canadian Citizenship and moved down South, where eventually got US citizenship.
They doing well, so let me know; I want to break the news to them.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
titosyr said:
If you got US citizenship by naturalization, then the Canadian citizenship will be revoked for many legal reasons!
Up until February 15, 1977, if a Canadian citizen became a U.S. citizen, he/she lost Canadian citizenship (though in 2009 it was restored to everyone who lost it). Since 2/15/77, Canadians can have as many citizenships as they qualify for without losing Canadian citizenship.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You remain a permanent resident of Canada until CIC says you are not, whether you renew your PR card or not. The PR card just enables you to travel and re-enter Canada by commercial means (plane, boat, bus, etc). It is the COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) that confers PR status - that paper you had to sign infront of a CIC officer/border agent the day you did your landing and they gave you a copy.

That said, if you don't meet residency obligations (i.e. spend at least 730 days in Canada in every rolling 5 yrs), you may loose your PR status. Have you spent 730 days(2 yrs) in Canada between March 2010 to March 2015 (that is the last 5 yrs)?

a) If yes, you can consider renewing your PR card because you are following the rules. Ensure you attach proof.

b) If no, then applying to renew your PR card is a risk, because chances are they will find out you haven't met residency obligations and begin proceedings to revoke your PR status. If that happens, you have a right to appeal (I believe you have 30 days to file appeal) and try to show why they should allow you keep your status. You will need strong humanitarian and compassionate grounds to be successful. Unfortunately, I don't believe moving to the US to be with your husband, etc will be enough.

The other option you have (if you have not met residency obligations), is to try to enter Canada in a private car (e.g. rental) using your COPR document(it never expires) plus your passport. If you are lucky, the border officer may let you enter without reporting you. If you succeed, you must remain in Canada for 2 yrs straight(no leaving for any reason) then you will be back in the good books again and can renew your PR card.

The other thing to note, you must remain a PR up until the moment you become a Canadian citizen. So it's important that your residency isn't called into question. Goodluck!

sweetie.sweet said:
Thank you for all your advice. I am trying to check in cic website as much as I can found out this. If I dont extend my PR card, can I still be residence of Canada. I lived in Canada 3 years and 10 months as permanent residence. Just a few days missed when I went for vacation to US. Please advise me again on this. Very sorry to bother you and thank you so much.

Here is the link that I found :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Thank you for all your replies and advices. I did receive another letter from cic (St Claire, Toronto) to provide the supporting documents for my RQ like rent agreements, tax returns, T4 and transcripts if I studied. My citizenship application was in Mississagua and sent the RQ papers to Mississauga on Dec 2013. Never heard anything till around Jan 2015. I submitted the requested documents to St Claire, Toronto office (second time) on Feb 2015. I did not hear anything from them again.

Do you think I need to meet CJ for that or what can it be happen for my citizenship application?