+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advise

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
I am (or I was) a permanent residence of Canada. I got married with US citizen and moved to US. My citizenship application was there and I went back to write the test, passed but I got RQ the same day. I sent out the papers that they need on Dec 2013. Just a few days ago, my aunt received the letter for more supporting documents like my rent contract during my stay in Canada or transcripts if I study there. I have to submit this within 30 days.

My canadian PR card expires early this year and I did not extend it.

I am now US residence, live here for nearly 1 and half years, working and my marriage goes well. I moved here less than 2 years of my marriage and I need to extend my US residence within next few months to get 10 years green card.

Could you please suggest me should I continue this canadian citizenship application or should I request them to close my file? My bottom line is : since my marriage is good, my work is fine here, I should be in US than Canada. But I also want to be responsible person to submit the papers when they requested me for my citizenship or atleast to tell them something.

If I request them to close my citizenship file, can they reopen when I go back within 3 years? So far I understand, we can go back to Canada within 3 years even our PR card is expired. I dont think so but I just want to confirm in case something happen in my life.

Could you please share your thoughts or knowledge on my situation. Thank you so much.

12om3

Star Member
May 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sweetie.sweet said:
I am (or I was) a permanent residence of Canada. I got married with US citizen and moved to US. My citizenship application was there and I went back to write the test, passed but I got RQ the same day. I sent out the papers that they need on Dec 2013. Just a few days ago, my aunt received the letter for more supporting documents like my rent contract during my stay in Canada or transcripts if I study there. I have to submit this within 30 days.

I am now US residence, live here for nearly 1 and half years, working and my marriage goes well. I moved here less than 2 years of my marriage and I need to extend my US residence within next few months to get 10 years green card.

Could you please suggest me should I continue this canadian citizenship application or should I request them to close my file? My bottom line is : since my marriage is good, my work is fine here, I should be in US than Canada. But I also want to be responsible person to submit the papers when they requested me for my citizenship or atleast to tell them something.

If I request them to close my citizenship file, can they reopen when I go back within 3 years? So far I understand, we can go back to Canada within 3 years even our PR card is expired. I dont think so but I just want to confirm in case something happen in my life.

Could you please share your thoughts or knowledge on my situation. Thank you so much.
I don't think you are required to close your application .. you already met the physical residency requirement and completed the test. All the rest are documents to support that you've been living in Canada and met those 1095 days .. Living outside Canada with your husband in US shouldn't disqualify you from taking the oath and becoming Canadian unless you choose so .. If you ask my opinion, I would complete all the documentation they ask for.

Good luck :)

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012

Hi Sweetie.sweet,

I would suggest to try and get the Canadian citizenship done now. You are at the last stage as you already completed the test, once you provide the necessary documents and if all is satisfactory next is oath. If you close your file now all the progress is lost a closed file will not be opened unless you mount a legal challenge to CIC's decision. Plus you will lose all your progress and fall in the new rules which can be applied anytime this year making things more complicated. Again if I was in your shoes I would provide the necessary documents and try to get the process completed.

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Thank you for all your advice. Please let me ask some more. I do not extend my canadian PR card and it was expired early this year, 2015. And when I moved to US, I took interstate EI for 9 months. Will these be any problems in Canadian citizenship.

And I am US residence, work and need to get my 10 years green card by applying removal of conditions within a few months.

Is there any problem of US residency and Canadian Citizenship?

Please advise on this.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
sweetie.sweet said:
Thank you for all your advice. Please let me ask some more. I do not extend my canadian PR card and it was expired early this year, 2015. And when I moved to US, I took interstate EI for 9 months. Will these be any problems in Canadian citizenship.

And I am US residence, work and need to get my 10 years green card by applying removal of conditions within a few months.

Please advise on this.
For EI, if you were receiving it while residing in US (or anywhere outside Canada), you'll have to return it if they catch you. Usually they do.
For Citizenship, I doubt there is any country in the world to grant citizenship to an applicant that is resident of a different country.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
When you say "interstate EI", do you mean the EI money was provided by the US? If yes, then it does not matter. On the other hand, if the money was coming from Canada(Service Canada), it can only be a problem if Service Canada thinks you should not have received these payments; in which case they will ask you return it. But it has no bearing on your citizenship application - they are two separate agencies.

No issues with US residency and Canadian citizenship that I am aware of. The "intent to reside" clause of the new citizenship bill is not yet in effect, so I don't see how it can affect you. If the officer is not satisfied with the proof you have submitted, they can refuse to grant you citizenship. If I were you, I would provide the documents needed and let them decide.

sweetie.sweet said:

Please advise on this.

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Thank you so much for all your advice. The Interstate EI is the unemployment insurance provided by service Canada for the people who moved to US with family reason like marriage. But I needed to prove my social security of US as the proof that I am eligible to apply the jobs in US. This also applicable for the people from US who move to Canada with the same reasons.

So, I feel like I already let them know that I moved from Canada to US as the permanent residence. But like you said that is 2 different agencies. I am so much confused for these. And I cant let my marriage go something wrong coz of my arrangements in these.

Kindly share your thoughts on this. Thanks again...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
We learn everyday... did not know Service Canada provides Interstate EI for that purpose. Good to know - thanks for sharing.

Really, I would not worry about Service Canada and the EI money. It's separate agencies. Only a criminal record/charges, DUI, lying on application form or officer not being satisfied of your days residence in Canada could affect the decision to grant or refuse you citizenship.

Do you mind sharing what these additional documents they are requesting are? Are they tax documents?

I agree about not letting anything go wrong with your marriage and I don't see how Canadian citizenship can affect your marriage. If you want to withdraw your application instead, you can do that - your choice. But keep in mind, when you move back to Canada, should you want to apply for citizenship, you will fall under the new rules (4 yrs out of 6 instead of 3 out of 4 right now) and there is no guarantee you still won't get RQ.

Also, the longer you stay out of Canada, the higher the chance that you will not meet residency obligations and possibly loose your PR status (for me, this would be a good reason to proceed with a citizenship application now). Permanent residents (PRs) have to reside in Canada for at least 730 days (2 yrs) in every 5-year period.
If you loose your PR status, you may need a visa to enter Canada and a work permit to work. Getting work permits now is quite challenging because you will need a LMIA (labour market impact assessment or LMO) and many employers are not willing to undergo the process because it costs $1500.

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
In this letter, CIC asked my rent or mortgage for the period of 3 years (from the date that I became Canadian residence till I applied for citizenship), transcripts if I study, tax papers or T4-s. Actually, I did submit all these papers since Dec 2013 to Mississauga office.

But now the letter is from Toronto office and signed by citizenship official.

Please let me know if you find any impact on these two offices and my situation. Thank you so much.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't know much about the Ontario visa offices, so can't comment on that aspect. It's possible the documents you had sent in Dec 2013 were not included(or were misplaced) when the file was transferred from Mississauga to Toronto office. So best bet is to re-submit them to the office stated on the letter. What are you afraid of?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
And always keep full photocopies of everything you send them UNTIL you're done with the process and can shred them in sweet vengeance!

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Thank you for all your advice. I am trying to check in cic website as much as I can found out this. If I dont extend my PR card, can I still be residence of Canada. I lived in Canada 3 years and 10 months as permanent residence. Just a few days missed when I went for vacation to US. Please advise me again on this. Very sorry to bother you and thank you so much.

Here is the link that I found :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
Yes. To apply for citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for three out of the last four years. Those four years are the ones leading up to the date you sign the application. There is not a requirement to stay in Canada while we process your application. However, if you must leave Canada there are several risks you should be aware of.

If you leave Canada, you must continue to meet your residency obligation to keep permanent resident (PR) status. You must be a permanent resident to become a citizen and not just when you apply. If you lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship, you cannot become a citizen. Bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily. Make sure the card will not expire while you are outside Canada. (If your PR card expires, is does not mean you have lost PR status.)

We generally only mail letters, notices and other material to addresses in Canada. Sometimes, you must reply to these letters within a certain amount of time. If you do not reply in time, we will close your application.

You must attend meetings and other events at our offices, like your citizenship test, interview and ceremony. These events only take place in Canada. To reschedule these events or if you miss one, you must contact the CIC Call Centre. The Call Centre can only be reached from within Canada.

titosyr

Jan 24, 2015
Hey bro,
short story long:
When you gets you Canadian citizenship you become a Naturalized Canadian citizen, you can live anywhere you want!
If you got US green card, there is no problem,
If you got US citizenship by naturalization, then the Canadian citizenship will be revoked for many legal reasons!

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
titosyr said:
Hey bro,
short story long:
When you gets you Canadian citizenship you become a Naturalized Canadian citizen, you can live anywhere you want!
If you got US green card, there is no problem,
If you got US citizenship by naturalization, then the Canadian citizenship will be revoked for many legal reasons!

Can you please elaborate on the red statement; thanks!

titosyr

Jan 24, 2015
era1521 said:
Can you please elaborate on the red statement; thanks!
Well I don't have many details like names or cases but an immigration lawyer told me that any Canadians by naturalization will loose their citizenship if they got naturalization in another country, same laws exist in many countries like US, Japan and UK