+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Advise. PPR recieved but need to travel soon

NOMADforPR

Star Member
May 23, 2014
Got my PPR today(have 60 days to submit passport), however i need to travel to the US for a week in a month from now. I am not from a visa exempt country. Should i:

- Travel to the US and return on my work permit(still have 4 months left to expire) and then deal with PPR after coming back OR
- Submit passport, land, wait for PR card and then travel...not sure all this can be done in 1 month?

Please advise.Thanks!

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
NOMADforPR said:
Got my PPR today(have 60 days to submit passport), however i need to travel to the US for a week in a month from now. I am not from a visa exempt country. Should i:

- Travel to the US and return on my work permit(still have 4 months left to expire) and then deal with PPR after coming back OR
- Submit passport, land, wait for PR card and then travel...not sure all this can be done in 1 month?

Please advise.Thanks!
It all depends on how important is your travel! Do you really need to go? It's your personal choice! If you really need to travel then I would say go ahead with your first plan. You will still have around 25 days when you get back. If the travel is not that necessary then stick to your second plan. Stay here get your PR and then go.

Honestly if it was me, because I have been through so much, I will choose the second option and would not risk anything, anything at all! If I get my PPR any day I will super-deluxe-express-recorded post it to Ottawa for stamping and by the time I get my hands on my passport I will start my car, drive to the border and do the landing, no matter what time of the day it is.

Just my personal opinion. Good luck mate!

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
And for your record after you do the landing the PR card takes around 2 months to get to your doorstep (currently people are waiting around 3 months for theirs) and also when you finish your landing all your previous permits become void. Meaning you can not use your work permit again. It will be automatically expired. This is what I know, somebody corrects me if I am wrong. Hope this helped. Again good luck mate!

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
This is easy: submit your passport now; it will be returned to you in a week.
When you travel and come back from the US, that's the time you do the landing (i.e., you are entering on the PR Visa).

NOMADforPR

Star Member
May 23, 2014
MenicMonday said:
This is easy: submit your passport now; it will be returned to you in a week.
When you travel and come back from the US, that's the time you do the landing (i.e., you are entering on the PR Visa).
Forgot to mention we are 2 on the application. My spouse and me. and she is unable to travel to the US with me.
Is it possible i (primary applicant) land during my return from the US first and later during the week we drive to the nearest border crossing to complete my wifes landing?

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
Yes, you do not have to land both at the same time, but I "think" you need to land first (I assume you are the Principal).

NOMADforPR

Star Member
May 23, 2014
MenicMonday said:
Yes, you do not have to land both at the same time, but I "think" you need to land first (I assume you are the Principal).
Thanks MenicMonday. Can anyone confirm this please?

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
Don't make it sound too complex. Some PR applicants in Canada have families outside of Canada. There's no rule that you need to absolutely land at the same time. Some dependents just land afterwards whenever doable (search the forum for similar cases).

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
NOMADforPR said:
Thanks MenicMonday. Can anyone confirm this please?
The rule is that the principal applicant has to land first.You land either both together, or if your spouse can't land with you he/she can land later (according the COPR and visa validity).

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rezafc said:
It all depends on how important is your travel! Do you really need to go? It's your personal choice! If you really need to travel then I would say go ahead with your first plan. You will still have around 25 days when you get back. If the travel is not that necessary then stick to your second plan. Stay here get your PR and then go.

Honestly if it was me, because I have been through so much, I will choose the second option and would not risk anything, anything at all! If I get my PPR any day I will super-deluxe-express-recorded post it to Ottawa for stamping and by the time I get my hands on my passport I will start my car, drive to the border and do the landing, no matter what time of the day it is.

Just my personal opinion. Good luck mate!
I am seconding his opinion. This is one of your final steps before landing as a PR. After sending your passport, the fate of your passport is within Canada Post and CPP Ottawa. A lot of people's hands are involved there, and human errors could happen. Canada Post can get sloppy and CPP Ottawa may misplace our documents. I heard few cases where passports got lost, and complicate the case. Our own responsibility is to have enough contingency.

I sent my passport on May 13th 2014 and my return tracker is activated on May 26th 2014. That was considered fast on my batch. It could be much longer on your batch, who knows. Leaving only 3 weeks before dateline for your case might be a very risky thing to do.

Good luck thou~