+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advise - My PR card is STOLEN and EXPIRED while abroad.

rumisa

Apr 10, 2012
Hi,

I, a permanent resident in Canada, has been living in the US since last spring. My PR card was stolen during my to Cyprus last summer (I traveled off the US). I notified the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles about the theft. They told me I needed to replace the card, but my card was about to expire... so I tried communicate with the Consulate by e-mail, asking the details of application steps (whether I should replace the card that will expire soon, or should apply for the renewal, explaining about the theft, etc.)... and while I had been waiting for their reply (which I haven't still received), the time went by, and my PR card is really now expired! What I should do now?? -- Should I still try to replace my "expired" card? Or is there any way to apply for the renewal of my expired card without turning in the card (as I no longer have one... although I have its photo copy)? Will anyone be able to advise me?

I have lived in Canada more than 2 years out of 5 years (So I think I meet the residency obligation).
I'm still in the US but planning to visit Canada this summer, and planning to move back to Canada next year.

Thank you in advance, Rumi

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rumisa said:
Hi,

I, a permanent resident in Canada, has been living in the US since last spring. My PR card was stolen during my to Cyprus last summer (I traveled off the US). I notified the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles about the theft. They told me I needed to replace the card, but my card was about to expire... so I tried communicate with the Consulate by e-mail, asking the details of application steps (whether I should replace the card that will expire soon, or should apply for the renewal, explaining about the theft, etc.)... and while I had been waiting for their reply (which I haven't still received), the time went by, and my PR card is really now expired! What I should do now?? -- Should I still try to replace my "expired" card? Or is there any way to apply for the renewal of my expired card without turning in the card (as I no longer have one... although I have its photo copy)? Will anyone be able to advise me?

I have lived in Canada more than 2 years out of 5 years (So I think I meet the residency obligation).
I'm still in the US but planning to visit Canada this summer, and planning to move back to Canada next year.

Thank you in advance, Rumi
1. You have to be residing in Canada with a Canadian address to re-new or apply for a new PR card.

rumisa

Apr 10, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for the reply, but my question is what a permanent resident needs to do when his/her PR card is expired and s/he doesn't have the expired. (It was stolen in my case.) When I go back to Canada to live there, do I still need to try to replace the expired card before I renew the card?
Or is all I need to do is to apply for the new PR card, explaining the old card had been stolen.

I didn't find any info. of what to do when a PR card is stolen AND expired on CIC website...