+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advice me, implied status,had work permit, inland applicant.

Arbol

Jun 4, 2010
Hi
I have a pretty good idea of what the answer might be but I would like to confirm if anyone knows... to sum up my question: I arrived on an open work permit and applied for PR under spousal sponsorship. We're still waiting for the first stage approval and my work permit expired a few months ago. I know I have an implied status because of the application and therefore can work for the same employer I was working for at the time of the expiration but I probably can't apply for any other jobs until we here back from Vegreville eh? Does anyone know what other rights people with implied status have... e.g. can I still go to the doctor and use my healthcard and is my SIN number valid anymore? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Arbol

Jun 4, 2010
Hi
Yes I did but we haven't heard anything. No first stage approval yet, no new work permit... just implied status based on my initial work permit... Do you happen to know how extensive this status is in my case? Thank you.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Implied status means that you can continue under the terms of your original status past the expiration date - as long as your extension was received by CPC-Vegreville prior to your status expiring. An open work permit gives you the ability to work for any employer - but I don't know if you can change jobs in the midst of implied status because your SIN probably has an expiration date on it that coincides with your original OWP expiration. I know mine does. I'm assuming that even though the SIN is probably technically still valid, it might be difficult to convince a new employer that you still have the right to work. As far as your healthcard, I don't know because I'm not eligible for health benefits in my Province based on my OWP. So I don't know if that's extended or not. "Implied status" may be pretty clear for immigration purposes, but it sure isn't very straight-forward for associated connections. I think I'd try my best to remain status-quo until you get your new status document. You will be hearing something from CPC-V about 6-7 months after they received your inland PR ap/extension request. Until then, you're on "implied" with all the accompanying inconveniences. At least you're not alone. ;)

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
In my case....I filed for my PR under Family Class in October 2009, with an OWP application. My then work visa expired in November 2009 and I was on implied status. I am in BC and was on the MSP plan, which also expired at the end of my work visa. They allowed me a 90 day extension but after that would not cover me nor my son.

Meanwhile I continued to work for the same employer even though my SIN number had expired again at the end of the work visa. I have had no problem with that at all.

I received AIP on 27th April 2010 but because I also had a landing date at the same time, 20th May 2010, CIC did not issue the work visa.

When I went to land, Inland at Vancouver, I received my COPR paper, which I was told by the IO and Service Canada confirmed, did not entitle me to a SIN number and that I had to wait for the PR card. So I am still working with the same employer under the same expired SIN number.

It all is a bit messy, CIC did not issue the work visa because I had a landing date with AIP, then I am unable to get a new SIN number because every government office does not recognize the COPR paper as an official document.....go figure

Anyway, happy to get my PR despite all this, now just need the PR card and all will be well in my world.

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
My partner applied to renew his visa and therefore has "implied" status.

His health card expired at the same time as his original visa and they would not renew it on the basis of the application for an extension. They told him he needed to have the approved visa extension or else the approved sponsorship application.