+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to transfer job from USA to Canada

skamble

Oct 7, 2014
Hi

I am currently a full time employee in a USA company for last 2 years and planning to transfer my job from USA to Canada as my employer has an office in Canada.
I have quick questions with respect to this -
1) Can I apply for PR immediately after moving to Canada?
2) How long do I need to stay with the same employer in Canada before applying for PR?
3) Can I self- apply the PR or does an employer need to initiate the PR process?

Any help and advise on this one would be really appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
  1. You can apply for immigration anytime you choose, but Intra Company Transfers don’t provide special consideration for Permenent residency. It’s just a work permit that doesn’t require a LIMA (and only if it fits the requirements for ICT) and have a limited duration. You would eventually need to return to the US.
  2. Again, you would need to apply through one of the regular immigration streams. If you plan on finding new employment, the employer would need to go through the LIMA process before hiring you.
  3. You can apply yourself (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html)

You will probably want to review the requirements for ICT first (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/intra-company-transferees/canadian-interests-significant-benefit-general-requirements-r205-exemption-code-c12.html)

skamble

Oct 7, 2014
Thanks and really appreciate your response..
I was under the impression that I could apply for PR after working for the same employer from Canada for 6 to 8 months and continue working there till I get the PR..
Do I need to apply through federal skilled worker for PR or would there be some other stream for PR in case of transfers?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks and really appreciate your response..
I was under the impression that I could apply for PR after working for the same employer from Canada for 6 to 8 months and continue working there till I get the PR..
Do I need to apply through federal skilled worker for PR or would there be some other stream for PR in case of transfers?
You can apply for PR now if you qualify. You must work for your employer in Canada for one full year before you can claim this as a job offer and get job offer points under Express Entry.

Canada has many economic immigration streams. You'll have to spend time researching them to understand the requirements of each and determine which best suits your situation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html