+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to move from US with Pregnant wife in Jan'14

Sep 5, 2012
Good Afternoon Everybody,

I have been reading your forums for almost an year. All of your post has helped me alot in this transition.

Here is case:-
Me and wife landed as PR in last Nov 2013 through Niagara falls Candian border. We were there in Toronto for few days to finish all the formalities and applied for SIN. I had mentioned my friend home address while landing in the COPR documents. We got both SIN card and PR card delivered to my friend address.
I had to move back to US to finish my contract which is going end in this December 2013. Now, we are planning to move permenantly to Canada for good.
Now, my wife is pregnant for 6 weeks. By the time we move to Canada in January'14 she will complete 3 months. We didn't apply for OHIP Health Card when we were Toronto since we were moving back to US in few days. We decided to apply for health card once we permanently move in this year.

Here are my conerns.
1. If I move to Toronto in January, does my wife pregnancy will be covered with OHIP from January itslef since we have already landed in November 2013. Note:- We have to apply for OHIP card after we move in January.
2. If I move to Alberta(Calgary), do we get Health Insurance immediatly in January '14? Since I have already completed my initial landing in Ontario region, is it going to affect our eligibility to get Health Insurance in Calgary from January?. Do we need wait to for three months in Calgary in this case?

Plese guide on this regard
I appreciate all your help
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you come to Ontario - you will have a three month wait before OHIP coverage kicks in.

If you go to Alberta instead - then I believe you will have coverage day 1. However you should plan to live in Alberta if you do this. Don't think you can deliver in Alberta and then leave soon afterwards and move to Ontario or another province. We've seen a few people try this and the province has later gone after them for the costs of the health care and delivery (the bills have been substantial).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. If you go to Calgary, since you didn't actually settle in Ontario, AB will cover you from day 1 but you should expect to stay in AB for at least 6 months to avoid them coming after you later. If you go to Ontario, you would wait 3 months to get coverage.

Sep 5, 2012
Thank you very much Scylla and Leon.

Your response was very quick and I am realy thankful to both of you.

I am planning to settle in Alberta province.

One more question
I am importing my car into Canada from US. I am going drive through Niagara falls canadian border to re-enter into canada this time. Because it is near to my current location in US. Once customs is cleared in the border and finish all the Form-1 formalities of importing the car, can I drive my car into Calgary all the way from Ontario with US registration name plate on the car and US drivers license? Becuase it would take couple of days to finish all the formalities with RIV to register my car and get the canadian name plate.
Can I drive my US registration car in canada till it get registered in Canada with my US drivers license? If so, how long I can drive as canadian permanant resident before I exchange it with Canadian driver license and registration?
Please guide me

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not an expert about car import but this page may help: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-index-443.htm and there is a phone number at the bottom.

This page is good too: http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

It says here: http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx#timeprocess that you have 45 days after import to get your vehicle inspected and registered in Canada.

As for your drivers license, you can exchange your US license for an AB license and you need to do this within 3 months after your arrival in AB.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
A quick point -- if you are OK legally being in the States, it makes far more sense to drive through Michigan, Wisconsin, and so on to get to Calgary. Gas is cheaper and the road is better. If you want to get into Canada sooner, drive through Michigan and Minnesota and enter Canada in Manitoba. Ontario is HUGE, the road is very bad in winter, the towns are small and it is a tough drive. Avoid it if you can and get to the Prairies by another route.

From Brandon to Calgary is less than one day's drive.

dr_rifat

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-JUNE-2011
File Transfer...
8-SEP-2011
Med's Request
12 OCT 2011
Med's Done....
25 OCT 2011
Interview........
WAITING
Passport Req..
WAITING
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
can I find a gynaecologist in Missisuaga 3 months before delivery?

Hi Everyone!
My Q is somewhta similar to Canadian Dreamer.I landed in oct2012 Toronto but didnt make Health card.My EDD is in sep2014 ,Now i cannot shift before 6 months due to personal reason,If i fly now to apply for health card n return back to Canada 3 months before my delivery ,will i b ableto find a Gynaecologist???

Sep 5, 2012
Leon,

Thank you very much for your info on importing the car. I really appreciate your help.
I will also get prepared with all the documents required for importing the car.

Hold-On,

You have a valid point of moving into Calgary through Michigan and it seems to be very good idea. Initially it didn't came to my mind. Thanks for your timely input.
I am legaly OK to drive in US. So, I will consider your input and will plan my move accordingly.

Thank you so much guys.