+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to apply inland while I am on visit to canada

Pink1202

May 10, 2018
Hello, I came to Canada as a visitor last week. Me and my Husband (Canadian) plan to apply inland PR. We already have marriage certificate from india- do we still need the one from Canada? What to do for inland PR + OWP?
Please reply as I am not clear on what all documents and forms to be submitted.
Rgds

shah22393

Nov 6, 2017
Hello, I came to Canada as a visitor last week. Me and my Husband (Canadian) plan to apply inland PR. We already have marriage certificate from india- do we still need the one from Canada? What to do for inland PR + OWP?
Rgds
First of all, I am not really sure if you can apply for PR while you are on visitor visa inside Canada. As far as my knowledge goes, you'd have to apply from India. And about the documents, you'd need PCC, medical, work experience, bank statement, etc etc.

Pink1202

May 10, 2018
First of all, I am not really sure if you can apply for PR while you are on visitor visa inside Canada. As far as my knowledge goes, you'd have to apply from India. And about the documents, you'd need PCC, medical, work experience, bank statement, etc etc.
I can apply from Canada also- this is what I am sure about

shah22393

Nov 6, 2017
I can apply from Canada also- this is what I am sure about
Theoretically yes, you can. Practically, one shouldn't

1) While, you're in Canada, and if you file for your PR, it can take anywhere between 6 months to 1 year. Bear in mind, you are on visit visa, and not allowed to work or anything.

2) You'd have to keep extending your visas and be in legal status and it is upto CIC to extend or refuse

3) The chances are 50/50 since, the officer may think that the purpose of your visit was always to settle down.

4) If you have kids, they'd require study permit to study in Canada and to attend school and it costs around $14k per child

5) Certain documents may require your presence in your home country.

You can try searching on various websites, people have always avoided the idea of applying for PR once they are on visit visa inside Canada.

Reactions: shalenabennie

Zulaikha

Nov 16, 2018
Visa Office......
LVO
File Transfer...
20-April-2018
Med's Request
20-March-2018
Med's Done....
28-March-2018
Passport Req..
08-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2019
LANDED..........
14-02-2019
Rgds
Rgds
Hello!!
My application received in london on 20th April 2018.
Can u tell me when i get a new update about visa??

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017

1) While, you're in Canada, and if you file for your PR, it can take anywhere between 6 months to 1 year. Bear in mind, you are on visit visa, and not allowed to work or anything.

2) You'd have to keep extending your visas and be in legal status and it is upto CIC to extend or refuse

3) The chances are 50/50 since, the officer may think that the purpose of your visit was always to settle down.

4) If you have kids, they'd require study permit to study in Canada and to attend school and it costs around $14k per child

You can try searching on various websites, people have always avoided the idea of applying for PR once they are on visit visa inside Canada.
Rgds
There is a lot of misinformation in this post.

Firstly, if they are planning on applying inland with the OWP they do not need to keep extending the visitor status. The OWP gives status once they have it in hand.

Secondly, there's no data to show chances are 50/50 to extend visitor visas if they chose to apply outland while inside Canada. If they proceeded this way they would have to maintain visitor status but it does not mean people have avoided applying this way. My husband and I went this route and extended twice with no issues.

You can absolutely apply for PR inside Canada as an outland applicant on a valid visitor visa.

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
You can definitely apply inland on a visitor visa - just make sure you also apply for the OWP and that your visitor status does not expire before you get your OWP. But once you get your OWP you will be of status as a temporary resident until your PR application is complete. Unless your passport expires before... I’m pretty sure I’ve read somewhere that the OWP can’t be valid past your passports expiry date.

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
kcward7 and marpou are correct. You can definitely apply for PR either inland or outland while in Canada as a visitor. If this wasn't the case many people on here -- myself included -- would be in big trouble.

Reactions: np08

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018

Wow, this is quite wrong.

OP, you can absolutely apply for an open work permit along with your inland application. You will get the work permit within four months from applying (it will be valid for two years), allowing you to work and have status other than visitor in Canada while you wait for your PR application to be processed.

You do not, in fact, have to be in status in order to get approved for the PR. You only need status for the work permit application.

Many visitors apply inland this way (even if the category isn't necessarily aimed at them) and complete the process without any issues.