+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning for a TRV application in December, please help

kunascii

Sep 27, 2014
Good day all!

My partner will be applying for his TRV to Canada from Bangkok and I would definitely appreciate your advice and guidance. We had applied for TRV's twice before (Dec 2013 & Feb 2014) and we decided to try again in Dec 2014.
The reason's before was very common; not enough money, employment, travel history.

In all honesty, I felt that in Feb 2014 the visa should have been approved; the visa agency he used messed up on some of the documentation (sigh) and he did not catch that. Now, we are ready to resubmit for 28 day TRV from mid Dec to mid January to visit my parents

This time, I will be handling the application so I hope all goes well! I will hire a reputable agency in Bangkok

Please let me know what other documents I should provide to increase the chance for a TRV:
1) Letter of invite w/legal affidavit of suppot
2) Letter to visa officer
3) Paystubs (working in the same company for 6 years now) & original offer letter
4) 3 months of bank records - should be around $20K in DEC w/TFSA account
5) Passports, drivers
6) Copy of rental lease agreement (renting a 1BDRM for 1 year now)

What he will provide:
a) Letter to visa officer
b) Clothing store Business Registration Paper. We are thinking about providing pictures of the store to prove that it's a legit store that is very modern. Also, we have a website that promotes the clothing. Good ideas to include those?
c) Bank Records - $10K in DEC (He had $10K 2 months ago but due to a store renovation, used up everything. Currently around $5K and the bank records will show a slow climb from $8k down to $2k (right now) and up to $10k in 4 months. red flag?) We want to explain this and that due to the renovations and website, there was a large fluctuation
d) Land Deed Ownership & House Registration
e) Car Ownership
f) Travel History (he lost his passport 3 years ago. Can he submit pictures of his trip to Germany, China, Korea as proof?). I read the last rejection notes and the visa officer questioned his trip to Germany to visit his mom.
g) Plane Tickets
h) Detailed Travel Plan
i) Letter from Uncle stating that he is taking care of grandma
j) Sisters and Dad in Thailand, Mom living in Germany
k) University Degree

Please help and suggest any other documentation or things we can do to improve our chances for a TRV approval.

Sorry for the long read, I will try to update as much as I can

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
sorry. to hear your previous attempts did not work. my wife snd I just received our TRV via bangkok. although we used an agent (who were very nice) I did a lot of the work
first and foremost as usual your partner (not you) needs to clearly convince immigration officer they will return back to thailand. my wife provided:
bank account with 3 year history and balance of 100,000 baht (as low as 1,000baht, high 400,000baht)
registration for motorcycle and pick up truck in her name
tambien bahn (blue book) with list of all family members
marriage certificate
birth certificates for both of our children
5 photos of us with the family at home
application form
application fee
travel insurance (medical, travel etc)
copy of flight itinerary
photos as required
a letter written by herself indicating why she wanted visa. in letter she stated reasons for visit (see my family), why she would return (son going to school, daughter has Dr. appointment, and looking after elderly parents).
I supplied:
letter of invitation
copies of letters from family (brother & stepmother) agreeing to provide accommodations
my contract of employment in thailand (teacher, i work in thailand)
copy of passport with all visa pages

We received the visa in 12 working days, multiple entry valid for 3 months. upon entry into canada given 6 months visit.

If your partner has their own business I would supply: business registration, licenses, perhaps copies if latest tax returns to show it is a valid business. proof of your relationship by photos, emails, facebook conversations, skype calls travel itineraries (old ones showing you traveling together, i supplied copies if our agoda bookings for the past 4 years). it is less about you as the more you show them being able to support your partner it also gives more reasons for them not to return.
Ask yourself why would your partner want to return to Thailand. You have two rejections there is something the IO do not like. Did your partner overstay their visa in germany? some agents are helpful but i found other then double checking the application and translating documents we would have been succesful without her, albeit she only charged us $150 for her services (including insurance).

good luck

kunascii

Sep 27, 2014
Hi rct99q,

Thank you for telling me about your past visa experience, it really did help. I'm going to try and submit as much information as I can.

His first visa was rejected as he did not provide enough information, and he thought a TRV was easy to obtain. Second time, the agency did not submit some vital documentation (missing one of his bank records... sigh).

Regarding lossing the passport and the stamps to other countries; if he submits pictures of himself and his mom in Germany with a letter stating that he lost his passport, will the IO accept that? He has traveled in the past 4 years and I think it'll be great to show on his passport (Singapore, Germany, Korea, China). Alas, he only has Malaysia on his passport currently.

Regarding the visa office, yes, they are changing him quite a steep fee! $300-400 CDN (immigration adviser from Canada, based our of Bangkok) but given our experiences in dealing with another agency/dealing with it himself, it might be worth it.

If you can think of any other hints, it'll be greatly appreciated :)
Best regards,

M

mikeymyke

My wife was approved a multiple TRV for life of passport, and she is a Vietnamese who is married to a Canadian (see signature). Vietnam and Thailand are both very difficult to obtain TRVs. I can provide some insight for you:

Your partner's refusal reasons are usually due to employment, travel history, and money. Unless his situation changes from last time, he will likely be refused again, so the first thing he must do is address these red flags.

Employment: What's his job exactly? How long has he worked there? Yes showing the company's website, registration papers, proof that he is an owner and active participant, that he deposits money from his profits into his bank, any taxes he's paid, invoices from customers, etc. Show pictures of the outside and inside of the store, especially on busy days with customers.

Travel history: He seems to have a good travel history, with Germany being the winner since it's a country that requires a visa to enter. Now the biggest problem for him is that he lost his passport, that's going to be a big issue. Showing pics of him in Germany would help, but the problem is, without a passport, CIC is unable to verify if he overstayed his visa or how long he stayed there. Showing Malaysia on passport isn't going to help since Thai citizens don't need visa to enter Malaysia. My best suggestion would be then, to send pics of him in the other countries. But be warned that I think its likely he will be refused because he cannot prove his travel history with his passport or boarding passes.

Money: His bank account fluctuation shouldn't be a problem as long as you can show proof where those transactions are coming from. Show receipts for the renovations and creating the website. Just make sure all the money that's in his account came 100% from him, and that no 3rd party (relatives, friends) is lending him money to inflate his account, that commonly leads to refusal.

Some small tips you can try are:

-handwrite your letters instead of typing them, this creates a more personal feel to the VO, might sway them a little bit to your favor
-send a criminal record check to show he's not at risk to commit crime in Canada
-its optional, but you should buy travel insurance for him, helps show intent to leave Canada
-send pics of you two together as a couple, shows you really are his partner