+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning ahead for PR renewal and Citizenship

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Hello All,

I am PR in Canada (via economic immigration / skilled workers), I have few questions:

Due to family reasons, I only stay short stays in Canada and move to country of origin (taking care of elderly). When I am in Canada, I usually rent in Airbnb or some family member rent it out for me. After 5 years when I will be about to renew my PR card or apply for citizenship, what difficulties will I encounter?

- I very much likely will be able to accumulate 2 years of physical presence in Canada. Are Airbnb receipts valid to prove physical presence? Will I face problem?
- I also very much likely will be able to match 3 years out of 5 years but with very discontinuous stays, same question, will I face problems to demonstrate physical presence?
- I also move a lot from province to province. Would this be an issue?
- Since I could not find job too, I have no income so far, it may change in the future and I also intend to freelance. How problematic will this be?

I suppose this is going to complicate my applications or not?
Any orientation will be very helpful.

Besram

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
There is a chance your application may be scrutinised more closely due to your travel patterns, but this is ultimately not an issue as long as you can conclusively prove that you are complying with the residency obligation.

Make sure you keep records of the following:

• Plane tickets to prove entry and exit
  • Passport(s), including expired ones for entry and exit stamps
  • Airbnb/hotel invoices to prove your stay and addresses
  • Bank / credit card statements to show transactions you made while in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that with all this movement you likely don’t qualify for healthcare so should take out private insurance.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Canuck78,
I might be able to stay 6 months out of one year going onward. But otherwise I agree of course.
My concern is how likely this movement will complicate PR renewal and citizenship applications? or is it a non-issue?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck78,
I might be able to stay 6 months out of one year going onward. But otherwise I agree of course.
My concern is how likely this movement will complicate PR renewal and citizenship applications? or is it a non-issue?
You will have to look at the residency requirement for each province. Only staying for 6 months once would not qualify you for health coverage ever or for the 5 years in many provinces.

You will have to keep very detailed records of your travels with proof of when you were in Canada. I would keep records of when you are in Canada using purchase records as well.

Besram

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Canuck78,
If by “complicate” you mean delays in the processing of your application: yes, this is possible because they may want to take a closer look at your application, invite you to an interview, etc.

If you mean that your application will be denied: no, as long as you prove your stays in Canada and those stays show that you are in compliance with the RO. There is no requirement for you to have a job in Canada, or to stay in long-term accommodation, or to only stay in one province. The only requirement is to be in compliance with the RO (and to not be inadmissible for other reasons, ie misrepresentation or criminality, which I assume do not apply in your case). But remember: the onus to prove your compliance is on you.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
Canuck78,

The original point was about PR renewal and Citizenship application, but since your bring an interesting point, let me please ask you some more details:

1 - "Only staying for 6 months once would not qualify you for health coverage ever"
I thought that many provinces require (in general as I assume) at least 6 months of minimum physical presence in a year period otherwise the health coverage is revoked, or cancelled in anticipation (the later in the case you advise provincial health services that you intend to staying abroad of province/Canada for more than the prefixed allowed period, say like 6 months in a row).
Can you clarify on this?

2 - "or for the 5 years in many provinces"
Could you explain more on this one too? If I am out of Canada for two years (just for example sake) then comes back to settle again in any province. Then I would apply for health coverage, I understand there would be a 3-month waiting period before I am admissible again for health coverage. What you mention is it like a "ban" for 5 years or something? Is it the case that at some point you end up staying in Canada without health coverage rights? I thought this is constitutional right (not to abuse of, but I suppose you understand what I try to say). Because that is new to me, so if you could provide also more details here that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck78,

The original point was about PR renewal and Citizenship application, but since your bring an interesting point, let me please ask you some more details:

1 - "Only staying for 6 months once would not qualify you for health coverage ever"
I thought that many provinces require (in general as I assume) at least 6 months of minimum physical presence in a year period otherwise the health coverage is revoked, or cancelled in anticipation (the later in the case you advise provincial health services that you intend to staying abroad of province/Canada for more than the prefixed allowed period, say like 6 months in a row).
Can you clarify on this?

2 - "or for the 5 years in many provinces"
Could you explain more on this one too? If I am out of Canada for two years (just for example sake) then comes back to settle again in any province. Then I would apply for health coverage, I understand there would be a 3-month waiting period before I am admissible again for health coverage. What you mention is it like a "ban" for 5 years or something? Is it the case that at some point you end up staying in Canada without health coverage rights? I thought this is constitutional right (not to abuse of, but I suppose you understand what I try to say). Because that is new to me, so if you could provide also more details here that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You described that you would only be staying for short periods and not establishing residency by renting or buying a property. When you initially land you are often required to stay most of the first 6 months or a full 12 months in some cases. If you then leave and return you may be required to start the application process again. Coming into a province after spending months abroad often means you have to start the process over again since you are not moving directly from another province. The health system is not meant to accommodate people arriving and spending a few months in this province and the going abroad and then returning to another province. The system has been created so that those who qualify for healthcare are tax residents of the province. There are people in Canada who need to pay for emergency health coverage because they don’t qualify for health coverage in Canada. You have to continue to meet the residency obligation not only in the first year.

ITmanEU

Feb 21, 2020
You have to continue to meet the residency obligation not only in the first year.

I got the answer in general, but in Italic above I think that is the bottom line. By residency obligation you mean residency obligation as regards health coverage I suppose. So it can be like 6 months +1 day every year for five years and you are still benefiting of health coverage (I am not in that scheme but this is for argue sake so to understand how things work). If you say, not correct, then I know I misunderstood! Misunderstandings can be costly as you know!!

Otherwise it is clear that residency obligation for health coverage has to be maintained the subsequent years too - otherwise coverage will be lost.
It is the part where you could end up not admissible at some point that I did not get very well. Is there a sort of gray area there or something?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to continue to meet the residency obligation not only in the first year.

I got the answer in general, but in Italic above I think that is the bottom line. By residency obligation you mean residency obligation as regards health coverage I suppose. So it can be like 6 months +1 day every year for five years and you are still benefiting of health coverage (I am not in that scheme but this is for argue sake so to understand how things work). If you say, not correct, then I know I misunderstood! Misunderstandings can be costly as you know!!

Otherwise it is clear that residency obligation for health coverage has to be maintained the subsequent years too - otherwise coverage will be lost.
It is the part where you could end up not admissible at some point that I did not get very well. Is there a sort of gray area there or something?
Every province has their own residency obligations for healthcare coverage. Some are as high as 12 months especially in the first year.