+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pirated stuff in External Hard Drive

can1da

Dec 9, 2009
Dear all

I am carrying some pirated stuff in my laptop and external hard disk, like, e-books and softwares etc. Many research papers downloaded from my university node (off course they are not illegal).

What about the chances to check all the stuff at airport?
How can I prove that the papers are downloaded legally?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it's very unlikely that it will be checked. I have never had anything like that checked when travelling. Security often wants you to turn on the laptop to see that it's a laptop and not a bomb but that's about it.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
they can check the programs, cds or dvds, you take with you, but not info on your hard drive or usb flash

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
I brought my lap top and they didn't even bother to check it. Probably depends on which country you're coming from or they just do random checks.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
can1da said:
Dear all

I am carrying some pirated stuff in my laptop and external hard disk, like, e-books and softwares etc. Many research papers downloaded from my university node (off course they are not illegal).

What about the chances to check all the stuff at airport?
How can I prove that the papers are downloaded legally?

Thanks
If it's important to you to get your PR, dump the pirated stuff.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree. Get Gmail or something and email them to yourself. That way you are safe. It would be a great tragedy if you very unlucky enough to get selected for a random spot check and got denied landing because you were violating copyright laws.

tgchi13 said:
If it's important to you to get your PR, dumb the pirated stuff.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
but how they can be sure that the stuff is pirate? if it's loaded from the internet, so there are lots of links where it can be loaded again.

there are also cyber folder where one can upload and keep all the info/files he wants to.

can1da

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks all

I think I should use alternatives to minimize the risk...

Query is still valid, "HOW Can they conclude the stuff is PIRATED Softwares / eBooks?" Upto my understanding They can inquire relevant Co./Org. for the key/License in case of software BUT it's really a time consuming job to spend on each/random immigrant in Queue.
No clue to check download source of each eBook.....

Thanks once again

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They don't need to be sure. You are the one who has to prove that your stuff is legal, not the other way around...

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
they never checked my computer. I think they can only do it when they are sure that your stuff is realy a matter of concern.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can do it whenever they want. You don't have many rights at the border. :) It's not like when you're in the country and the police has to have probable cause or your permission to search you. At the border they can search what they want, when they want it, for whatever reason they want (or no reason at all).

Fortunately I don't think they investigate computers very often. They are more concerned with just verifying it's not a hidden bomb or anything.

Suin said:
they never checked my computer. I think they can only do it when they are sure that your stuff is realy a matter of concern.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
well.... not everyone can afford spending thousands for original software. some of it even can be available for downloading on-line for free, from other sources.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Karlshammar said:
They can do it whenever they want. You don't have many rights at the border. :) It's not like when you're in the country and the police has to have probable cause or your permission to search you. At the border they can search what they want, when they want it, for whatever reason they want (or no reason at all).

Fortunately I don't think they investigate computers very often. They are more concerned with just verifying it's not a hidden bomb or anything.
yes, that was actually happening to me on arriving to the US. they made a spot check, and my stuff was always checked. ones I was taking my own dvd library with me - all the copies, they saw them but didn't ask anything at all. and never checked my laptop either.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Suin said:
yes, that was actually happening to me on arriving to the US. they made a spot check, and my stuff was always checked. ones I was taking my own dvd library with me - all the copies, they saw them but didn't ask anything at all. and never checked my laptop either.
CRTC and piracy laws in Canada have changed. But anything you legally downloading free-of-cost does not qualify as pirated. O'd not take the chance, beside which the applications could be reloaded at a later date, it's not like you are paying twice for the programs :)