+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physiotherapy for Cerebral Palsy Kid

rrayapati

Dec 4, 2018
I am a parent of Cerebral Palsy kid writing from India. We are actually planning to move to Canada through express entry. we work in IT. However, I would like to know few things before we proceed. My baby had lack of oxygen at the time of birth and that lead to brain damage. We took an MRI and they concluded it to be Cerebral Palsy and he is effected with muscle tone and low motor control. As of now, physiotherapy is going on in India and there is good progress within him. My main concern is that, if we move to Canada, will government support us for his treatment ? And, are there any insurance or subsidy kind of think for his therapy? I would like to know above information so that can help me take next step. Thank you for taking time and going through our request.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may have difficulty securing PR due to your child’s high medical needs. Physiotherapist is usually not covered under provincial healthcare system and must be paid for by the individual. Depending on your job you may have extended benefits that will cover a portion of the costs but usually limit the amount of appointments that are covered. Same thing for braces/orthotics, wheelchairs/crutches if necessary, etc. Rx medication may not be covered unless you have extended benefits so you need to look into each province. I would research medical inadmissability. Depending on the level of CP I would research the lack of funding after age 21 and shortage of group homes once parents get older. In general expect to pay for a portion of costs to care for your child. If you are still determined to try move to Canada I would never move to Canada with a medically complex child unless you already have a job with extended health benefits.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla