+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physician as a Secondary applicant

Haytham1984

Sep 16, 2017
Hi all

I got my ITA 4 days ago , I am the primary applicant, my wife is the secondary applicant. She is a physician. I made her ECA for her by WES.
The result : first professional degree in medicine.

While reviewing post ITA documents , I was told that my wife ECA SHOULD NOT be done by WES, as she is a doctor. And I should have made it by the MCC.

I am not claiming any working points for her in my PR application, just educational points.

Is this ECA done by WES is enough to get the professional degree which equals to master degree points. Or I have to get the MCC assessment.

Is any one done the same and got his PR without problems?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure what country you are immigrating from but I wanted to warn you and your wife that you may want to reconsider moving if you have a comfortable life and good practices. It is extremely difficult to get licensed as an IMG unless you have been educated, been trained and worked in a handful of countries. Even so I wouldn't encourage those physicians to move without a job offer. Only an extremely small percentage of IMGs get licensed and they are mostly limited to GPs and often in underserved locations. In terms of dentists there are also not a huge demand for dentists as well especially in the large cities. Many Canadians don't have dental coverage so that also is problematic. Not sure what you are expecting but there is not the demand for internationally dentists that there was 15 years ago and there are many more trying to immigrate. andOn too of that the overhead for running a dental practice has only increased. I don't mean to be negative but I see so many dentists, pharmacists and physicians immigrating to Canada and there isn't a huge demand for more of these healthcare professionals and in the case of IMGs there will be lots of roadblocks preventing you from even getting licensed. I don't think many potential immigrants are getting an accurate portrayal from friends/family or consultants.