+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence

Vancitybh

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
Hi, I have a question about my physical presence, so for context:
  • Initial Study Permit status from Sept 01, 2016 to Aug 01, 2019.
    • Applied for extension which successfully extended it to Feb 01, 2020.
  • PGWP from Dec 01, 2019 to Dec 01, 2022 (but the online form forces me to put expiry date of PWGP as 1 day before the the date I became a PR, instead of the actual expiry date).
    • No extension needed because I became a PR in 2021.
My question is: while filling the online form for the citizenship application, do I put the study permit "Expiry date of extended status" as Feb 01, 2020 (i.e. the actual expiry date) or do I put it as the Dec 01, 2019 (i.e. the date when PGWP was issued)?

Has anyone had this case before?

CHIOMA OSSAI

May 30, 2020
The date when the PGWP was issued, getting a PGWP immediately invalidated your study permit because you can’t have two different status at the same time, it’s one or the other and not both

Vancitybh

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
The date when the PGWP was issued, getting a PGWP immediately invalidated your study permit because you can’t have two different status at the same time, it’s one or the other and not both
That's what I'm thinking to go with as well as it makes perfect sense.. but it still kinda feels like not telling the truth by putting the expiry date earlier than its actual one for some reason

Vancitybh

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
Btw is it okay if I leave expiry dates to be the ones shown in the respective documents even if they overlap (i.e. instead of making study permit expiry date be earlier by matching it with the PGWP issue date)?

I am also planning to attach a letter of explanation to describe the implied status as well (when I applied for PGWP while still on study permit). Curious if anyone went through this and how they handled it?

CHIOMA OSSAI

May 30, 2020
No, for the study permit it expires on the day your PGWP was issued as well as your work permit on the day you became Pr

Vancitybh

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
No, for the study permit it expires on the day your PGWP was issued as well as your work permit on the day you became Pr
the thing is official ircc sources say that study permit expires 90 days after university letter of completion is issued, so for me that would be around November which leaves a few weeks without a permit.. does it still make sense to put student until pgwp date?