+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical presence proof in applications

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
I've been going through cic pages for citizenship. No where do I find any request for proof of physical presence! There isn't even a request for Tax returns! Apparently, they check about your returns with CRC directly. The old pages would ask for tax returns, studies, employment or any document to support physical presence but it's not there anymore. Even the passport, they only ask for the biographical page! Before, they would say all pages of the passport and translation of any non English stamps.

What's going on?! My guess is that they no longer trust documents from applicants but are tax returns alone enough to prove presence? What about people who didn't file taxes. I'm confused, we've heard so many stories where they ask for the smallest details about physical presence but now, it's not in the checklist. Wouldn't that just prolong processing when/if they later ask for supporting documents?

Orire

May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-June-2010
Doc's Request.
27-October-2010(Another Doc's Request:24-Feb-2012)
AOR Received.
27-October-2010
IELTS Request
27-October-2010
Med's Request
05-April-2012
Med's Done....
11-April-2012
Re: No Physical presence proof in new applications

septimius said:
I've been going through cic pages for citizenship. No where do I find any request for proof of physical presence! There isn't even a request for Tax returns! Apparently, they check about your returns with CRC directly. The old pages would ask for tax returns, studies, employment or any document to support physical presence but it's not there anymore. Even the passport, they only ask for the biographical page! Before, they would say all pages of the passport and translation of any non English stamps.

What's going on?! My guess is that they no longer trust documents from applicants but are tax returns alone enough to prove presence? What about people who didn't file taxes. I'm confused, we've heard so many stories where they ask for the smallest details about physical presence but now, it's not in the checklist. Wouldn't that just prolong processing when/if they later ask for supporting documents?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013

Orire said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp
Are you posting the link to further confirm the absence of a request for proof of physical presence? Because that's what the link shows.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada

Here is the link to the guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

It states everything.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013

thecoolguysam said:
Here is the link to the guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

It states everything.
This is was what my whole post is based on. Again, the link confirms what I'm saying. Take some to read through it and you'll see. Apparently you're still assuming the old information is there.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Wrong:

septimius said:

This post erroneously describes previous application forms. It also erroneously misstates what current applicant's need to have (main example of this is that yes, current applicants do need to present all pages of all relevant passports, with translations for any information which is not in one of the official languages. The full passport, as has been the case for at least the decade I have followed these matters, must be presented attendant the documents check interview.

It appears you are not familiar with even the basic instructions in the Instruction Guide, not familiar with past application forms, not familiar with the procedures involved in processing citizenship applications, and otherwise fail to recognize the import of the applicant's affirmation of key information constituting evidence of physical presence (address history, work history, and travel history), subject to severe penalties for any misrepresentation (including criminal prosecution).

The current application form requires more documentation than previous versions, going back at least a decade (and I presume much longer), and more detailed information.

Perhaps you have confused what is required in the application itself versus subsequent processing steps, particularly the interview, and potential requests for additional documents and evidence in the event IRCC identifies a reason to question the applicant's physical presence.

Or, perhaps you are operating off what a consultant instructed prospective applicants regarding what they needed to make a citizenship application.

In any event, previous citizenship applications did NOT require, with the application itself, submission of tax forms. Did NOT require including documents supporting employment history. And only required copy of bio pages in relevant passports.

While the CIT 0520 request for additional documents has only been in use for a few years, the CIT 0171 RQ has been in use for at least a decade and prior to 2012 local offices could make requests for additional documents on their own local forms or simply by letter. For a time beginning in 2012, and up to when CIC began using the CIT 0520 form a couple years ago or so (I do not recall when precisely CIC began using CIT 0520 forms), if someone at CIC decided additional documents were needed to assess the applicant's residency or presence, the policy was to issue the full blown RQ CIT 0171 (which had the predictable impact of bogging down, literally, tens of thousands of applications, resulting in the horrendous processing timelines during that period of time).

In any event, make no mistake: The information the applicant provides in the application form itself is extensive, full address and work history covering every month during the entire relevant time period, and a complete accounting of all international travel including day trips to the U.S. IRCC has various tools for screening and verifying this information, including requiring the applicant to bring and present, during the documents check interview,the original passport, all in any way relevant passports, with properly authenticated translations if applicable. And, if IRCC has questions, the applicant can be required to submit a great deal of additional documentation and evidence, ranging from proof of employment to documents verifying rental or ownership of a dwelling, from bank records to tax records to business records, even any and all documents showing any interest in properties or businesses outside Canada (and a failure to submit these, if requested, which they are in the CIT 0171 form for those issued RQ, would constitute a material misrepresentation by omission).

There is no hint that IRCC is in any way relaxing the amount of information and documentation requested with the application form itself, nor in the broad and sweeping scope of what can be required in the event the applicant is subject to RQ processing.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013

Thanks dpenabill for the clarification. I think I had it confused with the PR card renewal process. So in essence, we don't need to submit supporting documents along with the application but instead submit them when requested and at the interview.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada

septimius said:
Thanks dpenabill for the clarification. I think I had it confused with the PR card renewal process. So in essence, we don't need to submit supporting documents along with the application but instead submit them when requested and at the interview.
You need to submit the documents as per the checklist of citizenship application.

Prepare the additional detailed documents for the test/interview and provide to the CIC officer only when he/she asks for it.

khalid h

Jan 21, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad.....UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 July 09
Doc's Request.
11 Sep 09
Nomination.....
05 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
20th Jan 2010
IELTS Request
7 sent with docs
File Transfer...
30th June 2010
Med's Request
1st May 2012
Med's Done....
21st May 2012
Interview........
No please
Passport Req..
PPR1-18th July, PPR2- 17th August
VISA ISSUED...
5th Sept 2012
LANDED..........
17th October 2012 inshAllah
Sorry to ask the same question again, but a copy paste of CIC instructions as of today is below, it doesnt say all pages ::)

3. Biographical page of passport(s)/travel document(s)

The biographical page means the page that has your name, photo, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.

Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent.

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s).

tameraq

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khalid h said:
Sorry to ask the same question again, but a copy paste of CIC instructions as of today is below, it doesnt say all pages ::)

3. Biographical page of passport(s)/travel document(s)

The biographical page means the page that has your name, photo, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.

Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent.

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s).
You don't have to provide all passport pages with your application as you mentioned in your post, just the biographical pages of all passsports you had in the last six years before you apply. but for the interview it is a different animal, you will have to bring with you everything that you can think of that will support/prove your presence in Canada.

examples:
1- of course you will need to bring all your passports
2- translate any passport stamps that are not in english or french language. (see on CIC website what is required for translation).
3- take with you all your CRA tax assessment for the last 4-6 years (depends on your presence in Canada days).
4- any document that you provided with your application as a copy, take it's original version with you to the interview.
5- any transcripts from any educational institution in Canada.
6- children school reports

the most important thing to remember is, DO NOT OFFER TO PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION/ DOCUMENT TO THE INTERVIEWER UNLESS HE ASKS FOR IT. the more documents you provide the more chance he will have more questions to ask. be honest, if he feels for one second that you are lying or not making sense that's it , he will probably reassess your application.

khalid h

Jan 21, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad.....UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 July 09
Doc's Request.
11 Sep 09
Nomination.....
05 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
20th Jan 2010
IELTS Request
7 sent with docs
File Transfer...
30th June 2010
Med's Request
1st May 2012
Med's Done....
21st May 2012
Interview........
No please
Passport Req..
PPR1-18th July, PPR2- 17th August
VISA ISSUED...
5th Sept 2012
LANDED..........
17th October 2012 inshAllah
tameraq said:
You don't have to provide all passport pages with your application as you mentioned in your post, just the biographical pages of all passsports you had in the last six years before you apply. but for the interview it is a different animal, you will have to bring with you everything that you can think of that will support/prove your presence in Canada.

examples:
1- of course you will need to bring all your passports
2- translate any passport stamps that are not in english or french language. (see on CIC website what is required for translation).
3- take with you all your CRA tax assessment for the last 4-6 years (depends on your presence in Canada days).
4- any document that you provided with your application as a copy, take it's original version with you to the interview.
5- any transcripts from any educational institution in Canada.
6- children school reports

the most important thing to remember is, DO NOT OFFER TO PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION/ DOCUMENT TO THE INTERVIEWER UNLESS HE ASKS FOR IT. the more documents you provide the more chance he will have more questions to ask. be honest, if he feels for one second that you are lying or not making sense that's it , he will probably reassess your application.
Thanks Tameraq for the explaination