+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence In Canada

trufantome

Sep 28, 2015
I am a permanent resident of Canada, I work Monday to Friday in the US (at a hospital) but live and own a home in Canada. When I apply for Citizenship, will this hurt my physical presence in Canada, I cross at 7am come back to Canada at 5pm. I will be applying once C-6 goes into effect. I came to Canada on a visitor visa in 2005 and my PR in 2008? Wife and two boys are Canadian. I was rejected for citizenship because I could not verify my days, I filled out my application without having my exit and entry checks done with the US/Canada, I could not explain 41 days missing (I make a lot of day trip to buy grocery from a health food store because my son is highly allergic and some products they do not sell in Canada, and I was not going to lie about where I was for those days as I could not remember) , I was told to reapply. At the end of the day it was my fault and I did not provide enough information, second time I am better prepared.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

trufantome said:
I am a permanent resident of Canada, I work Monday to Friday in the US (at a hospital) but live and own a home in Canada. When I apply for Citizenship, will this hurt my physical presence in Canada, I cross at 7am come back to Canada at 5pm. I will be applying once C-6 goes into effect. I came to Canada on a visitor visa in 2005 and my PR in 2008? Wife and two boys are Canadian. I was rejected for citizenship because I could not verify my days, I filled out my application without having my exit and entry checks done with the US/Canada, I could not explain 41 days missing (I make a lot of day trip to buy grocery from a health food store because my son is highly allergic and some products they do not sell in Canada, and I was not going to lie about where I was for those days as I could not remember) , I was told to reapply. At the end of the day it was my fault and I did not provide enough information, second time I am better prepared.
1. As long as you return to Canada everyday it counts as one day residency for citizenship.

trufantome

Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the reply I have nexus also does it make a difference if I wait for c-6 or apply sooner and finally does anyone have a lawyer they recommend in Surrey BC

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
As long as you had one foot in Canada at some point in the 24 hour period it counts. You're fine. Although you might have a hell of a time recording all your absences on your residency calculator. I'd expect to get a residency questionnaire. You might want to consider sending in a letter with your application to be proactive.

trufantome

Sep 28, 2015
I ordered all exit entry from US and Canada, I will also get an updated copy when I apply after C-6 is in place this time I will go through a immigration lawyer to make sure my paper work is good, but I will do all the leg work and get all papers in order. Please let me know if there is anything else you would recommend, and thanks for the reply