+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Philippines] Sponsoring Parents - need your opinions, please..

Bim

Apr 3, 2012
Hello fellow Filipinos,
I'm hoping you can give me insights about my dilemma. I'm a bit concerned with my application and I'm hoping you can give me some insights before I consult a professional. Just so I can sleep. :) Earlier this afternoon, I received a letter from CPC-Mississauga with a checklist of documents that my parents need to provide. Passports, birth certs, marriage certs, etc.

The problem: My mother's name has a discrepancy in her first name on her birth cert. One letter in her first name shows "A" instead of an "E". To illustrate (this is not my mother's real name), but to show my point:

Birth cert: Mery
Marriage cert: Mary
Children's birth certs: Mary
What's on my documents when I went here: Mary

We've been trying to have this fixed but because of geographical reasons (they now reside in Tarlac and the local civil registry where she was born is in Davao), it's still not resolved at the moment (legal process, still pending the Judge's review). BUT...

I only have 90 days to provide the documents.

I was thinking of having her secure an authenticated birth cert and apply for a Passport using "Mery", and then sign an affidavit saying that Mery and Mary is one and the same person. Is this acceptable?

If I'm not clear with my explanations, please feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks in advance for your help!

joidiple

Oct 19, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bim said:
Hello fellow Filipinos,
I'm hoping you can give me insights about my dilemma. I'm a bit concerned with my application and I'm hoping you can give me some insights before I consult a professional. Just so I can sleep. :) Earlier this afternoon, I received a letter from CPC-Mississauga with a checklist of documents that my parents need to provide. Passports, birth certs, marriage certs, etc.

The problem: My mother's name has a discrepancy in her first name on her birth cert. One letter in her first name shows "A" instead of an "E". To illustrate (this is not my mother's real name), but to show my point:

Birth cert: Mery
Marriage cert: Mary
Children's birth certs: Mary
What's on my documents when I went here: Mary

We've been trying to have this fixed but because of geographical reasons (they now reside in Tarlac and the local civil registry where she was born is in Davao), it's still not resolved at the moment (legal process, still pending the Judge's review). BUT...

I only have 90 days to provide the documents.

I was thinking of having her secure an authenticated birth cert and apply for a Passport using "Mery", and then sign an affidavit saying that Mery and Mary is one and the same person. Is this acceptable?

If I'm not clear with my explanations, please feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks in advance for your help!
i think your option is to have her first name changed to what is really written in your documents thru the LCR where your mom was registered. but that takes a lot of time. but siguro pwede mo n gawin yung sinabi mo na afidavit and see what the embassy would say about it and start the process of her change of name na para in case na ayaw ng embassy then you have to do it the long way at least siguro they will give you time to do it naman. keep us posted :)

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
Though I am not a Filipino, I am a fellow applicant trying to sponsor my mom!

Minor spelling mistakes in names are usually overlooked, if you provide a reasonable explanation. If the spelling error does not completely change the name (Mary/Mery versus Mary/Merrigold) then, you need not worry-especially if its a vowel. I suggest, you get an affidavit towards that effect and along with the copy of your mother's birth certificate and the original affidavit, also attach her marriage certificate, your birth certificate and her passport copies.

Your goal should be to submit as much documents as possible within the time specified. In the meantime, if at all you can get the birth certificate corrected, let that process continue, but do not commit it in your application.

Just my opinion - I am not an expert.

sharmei17

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 17, 2014
AOR Received.
Oct 20-2014
File Transfer...
February 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 2014
Passport Req..
Mar 10, 2015.....IN PROCESS APR 30-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM May 14, 2015
LANDED..........
hopefully by June 23
Just get an affidavit saying that mery and mary is one person. We have the same case my mother's name is norma but later we found out she has a maria on her birth cert! We got an affidavvit in dfa that said that maria and maria norma is the same person. The cem accepted it no questions asked.

sharmei17

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 17, 2014
AOR Received.
Oct 20-2014
File Transfer...
February 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM May 14, 2015
LANDED..........
hopefully by June 23
Just get an affidavit saying that mery and mary is one person. We have the same case my mother's name is norma but later we found out she has a maria on her birth cert! We got an affidavvit in dfa that said that norma and maria norma is the same person. The cem accepted it no questions asked.

sharmei17

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 17, 2014
AOR Received.
Oct 20-2014
File Transfer...
February 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM May 14, 2015
LANDED..........
hopefully by June 23
Ur mother's name on her passport will be mery. They based it on d orig birth cert.

Bim

Apr 3, 2012
Thank you all for your advices.

Sharmei17: My father asked and you're right that her passport would be Mery, as based on her original birth certificate. I'm having her secure her passport now but what do we write on the Immigration docs, do we stick with what I have written in the previous forms - which is Mary or do we need to use what's in her passport - Mery?

Again, thank you all for the help so far.

Bim

Apr 3, 2012
sharmei17 said:
Just get an affidavit saying that mery and mary is one person. We have the same case my mother's name is norma but later we found out she has a maria on her birth cert! We got an affidavvit in dfa that said that norma and maria norma is the same person. The cem accepted it no questions asked.
Followup question po: Where is the affidavit coming from, DFA ba? Signed by a DFA officer?

Thanks!

sharmei17

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 17, 2014
AOR Received.
Oct 20-2014
File Transfer...
February 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM May 14, 2015
LANDED..........
hopefully by June 23
Sa application pakage gmitin m pa dn ung mary n name nya s birth cert at passport lng mery tpos kuha ka ng affidavit sa 2nd floor ng dfa sa me pasay. Ung old dfa. Pagkakuha m ng passport dun ka punta pra mgpagwa ng affidavit

Bim

Apr 3, 2012
Sige sabihin ko kay Erpats. Sya kasi nag-aasikaso doon dahil andito nako Toronto (Scarborough nga pala, kaya magka-baryo tayo pgdating mo dito). ;D

Hinihintay lang nila yung ID nya from SSS and Driver's License, reqt na yata ng DFA kapag kukuha ng passport.. Ok lang ba yun, na sa mga ID nya iba yung spelling and then iba yung sa birth cert? Basta susundan pa rin nila yung birth cert, and then yung IDs for validation lang ng picture and address?