+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Phd study and full time job overlap question

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
Hi guys,

I just got ITA yesterday. The situation is I live in the USA, and during the last 7 months of my Phd study, I started working full time in a company via full-time CPT(still working here but via OPT). So there are 7 months overlap for my full time study (as a doctoral candidate) and full time job. Removing the 7 months of working experience won't affect my CRS, so what should I do now? Options:
1. Leave it as what it is, put the overlap there and submit LOE with application;
2. Remove the 7 months working experience from my Express Entry profile? I wonder if I can do that after ITA..
3. Remove the 7 months working experience from my PR application, but then it will conflict with the express entry profile...

What should I do? Help please! Thank you!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can remove it from the work history section but you must still add it in the personal history section. No proof of employment will be required for this job.

That being said if you are a FSW applicant you have to make sure that removing this job does not affect your eligibility under the six selection factors.

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
You can remove it from the work history section but you must still add it in the personal history section. No proof of employment will be required for this job.

That being said if you are a FSW applicant you have to make sure that removing this job does not affect your eligibility under the six selection factors.
I just realize I cannot revise my express entry profile anymore. So are you suggesting me remove that from my working experience in the PR application and include it in the personal history? In that way, will they question why it's different from what was submitted for Express entry? Thanks!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct, that is exactly what i'm suggesting. Simply write a LOE regarding the fact that this change does not affect your CRS/eligibility.

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
Correct, that is exactly what i'm suggesting. Simply write a LOE regarding the fact that this change does not affect your CRS/eligibility.
I have another question here... so in my employment letter (proof of work experience), should I say the job start on 2015.03 (real start date) or 2015.12 (graduation date)? Thanks!

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
If the letter will cover the whole period including those 7 months, then you don't have to remove it. Also, the is no need for a letter of explanation as this overlap is very common and normal. BTW, I have done the same for a friend of mine and he didn't provide any further explanations and his application is already approved. Good luck!

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
If the letter will cover the whole period including those 7 months, then you don't have to remove it. Also, the is no need for a letter of explanation as this overlap is very common and normal. BTW, I have done the same for a friend of mine and he didn't provide any further explanations and his application is already approved. Good luck!
Thank you! It's just there is a 7 days' gap (unpaid, unemployed) before and after my graduation. The gap is due to the transition from CPT to OPT. Should I mention that in my application? or LOE?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Thank you! It's just there is a 7 days' gap (unpaid, unemployed) before and after my graduation. The gap is due to the transition from CPT to OPT. Should I mention that in my application? or LOE?
It's really up to you to include it in the application by splitting the work experience into two entries, or in an LOE and leave it as one entry in the application, or do both, specially since your CRS is high enough even without the 7 months. Good luck!

Reactions: mqc1986

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
Tha
It's really up to you to include it in the application by splitting the work experience into two entries, or in an LOE and leave it as one entry in the application, or do both, specially since your CRS is high enough even without the 7 months. Good luck!
Thank you very much! I guess I will leave it as what it is, since I can prove both my study and work are legit.