+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD holders, postdocs, research assistants, let's network and help each other!

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
sqid.madoma said:
Anyone here put his. phD training as work experience and managed to get the points from it AND the PR eventually?

I've read here that some people did it I would like to know what waas the outcome of their application.

Thanks.

Moreover, can postdoctoral fellow post the NOC they use for the APR application?

Thanks again.

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
Up!

Anyone who is a postdoc/phD/research assistant who wants to share his experience and NOC?

xiaolei

Apr 12, 2014
I have 3 year foreign research assistant experience, and one year indoor when studying in Canada, my concern is if I count the one year indoor experience? The CIC website says it doesn't count in CEC but in FSW?
Thank you

Encore

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
xiaolei said:
I have 3 year foreign research assistant experience, and one year indoor when studying in Canada, my concern is if I count the one year indoor experience? The CIC website says it doesn't count in CEC but in FSW?
Thank you
If the one year experience was gained while you where a full time student, it still does not count for FSW. In fact, any work done while a full time student does not count.

rusticdud

Sep 2, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-12-2016
Passport Req..
08-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-12-2017
I will apply with NOC 4012. Took 6 and half years for PhD, glad it can be used for EE ;D

I used to be employed for 20 hours per week. I understand part-time is 15 hours per week, so can the extra 5 hours per week be used?

xiaolei

Apr 12, 2014
rusticdud said:
I will apply with NOC 4012. Took 6 and half years for PhD, glad it can be used for EE ;D

I used to be employed for 20 hours per week. I understand part-time is 15 hours per week, so can the extra 5 hours per week be used?
you sure can.

paul85

Sep 23, 2016
Dear Researchers,
At last, good to see this topic, which can definitely help anyone, working or studying or doing research in Canada. At first, I should introduce myself, I am working as a Bioinformatics Postdoc fellow at Uvic and about to finish 1-year work anniversary. I am thinking to apply PR next year but I have some doubts and I thought that this is the best place to get some advice from you all. As far I can understand is to get the ITA, I need to get a certain score and due to LMIA exemption, we can't get 600 score which is ridiculous. Anyway I have some following queries:

1. I did my PhD from a well-known Belgian biological research institute in Belgium. So, I had a work permit in Belgium rather than study permit and I was paying tax as a normal Belgian employee. I have pay slips and employee records letter from HR director where it is showing that they hired me as a junior researcher in Belgium. So can I use that one as my work experience in EE application? If yes then which NOC will be perfect for this situation, 4012 or 2121 (working as a bioinformatician researcher during my employment period)? The reason I am asking because I saw that PhD work will not count as work experience if that person working on study permit but if not then it will. So please correct me if I am wrong.

2. Uvic hired me as a postdoctoral fellow and they used NOC 4011 for a work permit but as a postdoc fellow, I am not covering their all job duties as they have mentioned in CIC. I would say that I am working more in NOC 2121 category. Although I have already good publication records and even I have published a paper in a well-known journal recently from my postdoc role. So again my question, can I change NOC number from 4011 to 2121 in my application and is it right to do that because my job title is different from NOC 2121? If yes, please suggest me that, will CIC ask any question about why did I change my NOC number?

I hope someone will give me a nice constructive advice based on my provided information.

And I hope this discussion will help other Postdoc fellows who are thinking to apply for PR.

Thank you all for your time.

pumpkinphd

Oct 14, 2016
Very glad about this thread!

I used 2121 for both past experience (5 years of PhD in Germany, 20 hours contract) as well as for the current position (post doc-8 months in Canada), since the duties described in 2121 fits my experience best and I have no teaching experience...so that's the primary NOC.
I think you must to have minimum 1 year experience in your primary NOC - if applying through FSW, so make sure you keep that constant!
I'm in the pool now hoping to get an ITA soon!
Will keep you guys posted.

Nick89

Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

I have a Canadian Phd and 3 years of postdoc experience outside Canada. I don`t have any teaching experience so I won`t be able to apply under NOC 4011. Any one got PR as Postdoc under NOC 4012? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

uma1982suthan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-11-2017
sqid.madoma said:
this is a topic for graduate students, PhD , reseach asistants and postdocs to help each other.

This topic can also be used for networking.
Hi guys!

Good to see a bunch of people sharing your experiences. Thanks for it.

Let me introduce myself: This is Uma, a PDF with a job offer, waiting for my TRV and joining my new PDF position in Canada soon.

I would like to apply for the PR. And at this time, unable to decide which category is suitable. CEC/EE/FSW?

Could you kindly advise.

valorbeat

Jul 1, 2017
Hi Folks,

I am looking to claim my 20 hours/week TA work experience in the NOC 4012. If anyone here could share their personal experience regarding successfully claiming work experience under NOC 4012, I shall greatly appreciate it!

ryan1985

Sep 19, 2017
Hi guys, this is a topic for graduate students, PhD , reseach asistants and postdocs to help each other.

For example, most of the time it is not clear which NOC we should choose depending on our area of expertise.

This topic can also be used for networking.

As for myself I am a postdoc in Neuroscience at the University of Calgary for 2 years now, I am at NOC 2121 and just received PPR. I am also the vice president of the postdoctoral association of the University of Calgary and a guest member of National postdoc association CAPS.
Hi there,

I am also a postdoc in university of calgary, I am wondering what material you use for employment proof? Did you get an letter from your supervisor or you get an verfication letter from the university, or you use both of them?

ogaade

May 21, 2017
I used my 5 years of PhD as work experience under NOC 4012 (research and teaching assistants). I just got my PPR recently. So it definitely works