+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Phd Financial support for student Visa.

sreenathr6

Nov 10, 2020
Hi. I have received an offer for a PhD program at University of British Columbia , Vancouver , Canada. I'm an Indian national and I'm about to start my visa application. In my offer letter , there is a page which indicates "Statement of financial support " which states that i have been appointed as a research assistant to my professor and i will receive 25,000 Canadian dollars with about 2100 dollars a month as stiped for 4 years . Can i use this as a proof of my financial support to back up my visa application or should I be needing to shown additional funds in my bank account? The tuition fees is around 8,100 Canadian dollars per year . I would still have around 16k dollars to support my living. Can someone please provide an insight into this?

Literarymathy

Star Member
Feb 8, 2020
Hi. I have received an offer for a PhD program at University of British Columbia , Vancouver , Canada. I'm an Indian national and I'm about to start my visa application. In my offer letter , there is a page which indicates "Statement of financial support " which states that i have been appointed as a research assistant to my professor and i will receive 25,000 Canadian dollars with about 2100 dollars a month as stiped for 4 years . Can i use this as a proof of my financial support to back up my visa application or should I be needing to shown additional funds in my bank account? The tuition fees is around 8,100 Canadian dollars per year . I would still have around 16k dollars to support my living. Can someone please provide an insight into this?

Hi

You don't need to show proof of more funds.

Reactions: sreenathr6

jaimedantas

Star Member
Sep 30, 2018
I would encourage you to include some extra money through banking statements/investments to strengthen your application. Also, add your tax return receipts from the last 3 years just for safety.

saqib547

Star Member
Jun 28, 2020
Just attach that letter. No need to show any extra fund, this letter is enough. I also shwon just support letter and accepted, they didn't asked for any extra support.

GV-Patiala

Jul 2, 2021
Hi, I am in kinda similar situation, what all documents did you upload and you got your visa?

Nwamaka

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa.
App. Filed.......
May 12
Hi, I am in kinda similar situation, what all documents did you upload and you got your visa?
If your scholarship fully covers your tuition, living expenses, travel cost and health insurance then you're fine. But it is recommended to a bit extra with your proof of financial capacity.

Tahtawy

Jul 29, 2023

I am in similar situation but i was rejected in visa for insufficient funds. So may i ask you, your fund was menrioned in the letter of acceptance or it was a separate paper ? And if it was a separate paper from ur professor was it stamped by the university ?

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
I am in similar situation but i was rejected in visa for insufficient funds. So may i ask you, your fund was mentioned in the letter of acceptance or it was a separate paper ? And if it was a separate paper from ur professor was it stamped by the university ?
The offer letter will mention the funds. But you still need to show some additional funds to prove that you will survive the first month as the salary you will receive will be by the end of the first month. If you have received a separate letter of funding then you should attach it in the proof of funds.

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
While this letter is enough, you still need to show enough funds that you can survive the first month in Canada as you will receive your first salary by the end of the month.

Tahtawy

Jul 29, 2023
The offer letter will mention the funds. But you still need to show some additional funds to prove that you will survive the first month as the salary you will receive will be by the end of the first month. If you have received a separate letter of funding then you should attach it in the proof of funds.

Yes i had good fund of about 21000 cad per year and this written in a letter from my professor not the university .. and i put 8000 cad in my bank account .. so i am asking is that paper from professor is enough ? Do he need to stamp it from the university ? Or do he need to contact the univetsity to include this fund officially in their acceptance letter ? Or this unstamped paper from him is enough ?

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
Yes i had good fund of about 21000 cad per year and this written in a letter from my professor not the university .. and i put 8000 cad in my bank account .. so i am asking is that paper from professor is enough ? Do he need to stamp it from the university ? Or do he need to contact the univetsity to include this fund officially in their acceptance letter ? Or this unstamped paper from him is enough ?
I don't think he needs it stamped by the university, mine wasn't. In my case, I showed double the amount you mentioned just for safety, plus some liquid funds. In my offer letter if was clearly mentioned that I will receive funding + the amount of tuition fee. I guess you application might have been rejected as the visa officer might have doubts if you would have enough money to survive after paying your tuition fees from the funding you receive. (in case if your funding does not cover you tuition fees as well.)

Tahtawy

Jul 29, 2023
I don't think he needs it stamped by the university, mine wasn't. In my case, I showed double the amount you mentioned just for safety, plus some liquid funds. In my offer letter if was clearly mentioned that I will receive funding + the amount of tuition fee. I guess you application might have been rejected as the visa officer might have doubts if you would have enough money to survive after paying your tuition fees from the funding you receive. (in case if your funding does not cover you tuition fees as well.)

Ok thanks. I was just making sure that your case was as mine that u have a seperate acceptance letter from university that doesnt contain the fund and a separate letter of financial support from your professor that is unstamped. If u are the same case then i will be reassuring.

My university fees are only 12000 cad for the whole 4 years so even if it is paid from my 21000 fund there still will be enough for the living especially that 8000 in the bank account will do. I will take ur advice and increase the bank amount by double and apply again.

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
Ok thanks. I was just making sure that your case was as mine that u have a seperate acceptance letter from university that doesnt contain the fund and a separate letter of financial support from your professor that is unstamped. If u are the same case then i will be reassuring.

My university fees are only 12000 cad for the whole 4 years so even if it is paid from my 21000 fund there still will be enough for the living especially that 8000 in the bank account will do. I will take ur advice and increase the bank amount by double and apply again.
In my case I received 3 separate offer letters, one from the department confirming my funding, and other two from the School of Postgraduate Studies. In my offer letter from the department they have mentioned the funding but there is no signature or stamp of the university in the end. In my other two offer letter there was no mention of funding, it mentioned some admission conditions and confirmation of my acceptance.

Reactions: Tahtawy

Tahtawy

Jul 29, 2023
Just attach that letter. No need to show any extra fund, this letter is enough. I also shwon just support letter and accepted, they didn't asked for any extra support.

The support letter u showed was stamped from university or just signed by your professor ?

I have one acceptance letter from university that is stampef but doesnt mention any fund. And another from professor that has the fund but not stamped. Is that ok ?