+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PH Nurse/Live in Caregiver/OWP What to do to be a Health Care Aid in Canada?

kat agustin

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Hi everyone! This is kat, open work permit holder, RN in PH and I am looking for a job right now. I know that its not so easy to upgrade and get your credentials to be assess by NNAs Im considering to work as health care aid in a hospital or group homes. As I am browsing their requirements. I should provide some docs that shows my credentials are equivalent to Health Care Aid Education here in Canada. Can you suggest any agency for credentials assessment? How long and how much did you spend? Thanks in advance.

One chance

Apr 3, 2017
If you want to be a health care aide in Canada, you need to be aware that requirements depend on the province you find yourself.
I know of people in some persons who were employed just like that in "remote" provinces. They have no absolutely no health care background. I heard this was the case almost everywhere BEFORE the global economic meltdown.
Now however, it is a money spinner for colleges. Highly professional persons who lost their jobs are competing for health care aide jobs with low skilled workers. Most provinces now require you to get a certificate. Full time studies using a the standard Mosby textbook; the popular book used virtually nationwide.
In Alberta the course is 5- 6 months in duration.
In Ontario, it is 1 year in duration. Don't ask me why.
Without the certificate, you have no chance of employment in these provinces irrespective of your own health care background. You must have the certificate.
The costs vary from school to school. I paid CAD8,800 for my course in Alberta, minus transportation to school.
The worst part I found is that Ontario employers do not accept Alberta health care aide certificates so easily. In Ontario they are called Personal Support Worker. They cannot accept that it means the same as Health care Aide, because they still want you to spend money again to attend an Ontario college, using the same Mosby textbook and the you can be given the PSW certificate.
I hope I have clearly answered you.

kat agustin

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Thank you so much One chance. You answered all my queries so well. I am in Alberta and will try to find schools that is cheaper and good to study. Nowadays they are getting so strict.

One chance

Apr 3, 2017
If you wish to do Health care aide, I will recommend Bow Valley. It is cheap cos it is a government school.
I went to a private school. Cost me $8,800.
I moved to Ontario recently. The certificate from Alberta has no value here. Here they want Personal Support Worker certificate.
You can get funding for studies if you are a Permanent Resident.
See Directions for Immigrants. They have programs that assist professionals get back to their field doctors, engineers, and pharmacists, etc. I am not too sure for nurses so you need to find out.

Reactions: blessingobi36