+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ph.D Research Assistant as NOC 2121 or NOC 4012

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
Hi Andy,
Could you let me know how many points you were able to fetch under the federal skilled worker program for your TA/RA duties ?
I was able to get 25 pts, because my experience is over 1 year (full-time equivalent) and have CLB 9+. But note that both my experience and Zessie's experience was obtained outside Canada.

Your experience in Canada may not be used to claim points in CRS, but may be used to satisfy 1-year work experience requirement for FSW. See the link here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

ruhin

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi,
could you please tell me whether you were able to fetch points for your RA/TA work ?
It's urgent !
RA experience during your study permit won't give you any points. It just makes you eligible for FSW program.

Zessie

Star Member
Feb 27, 2017
United States
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-13-2017
AOR Received.
06-13-2017
Med's Done....
07-10-2017
Passport Req..
02-08-2017
Hi Zessie,

I was also an RA/TA full-time during the duration of my M.Sc. Could you help me to know how to fetch points in that cateogory (4012) ?

Is it under FSW or CEC?
According to my understanding, it has to be under FSW. I don't understand what you meant by fetching points. All I did was to claim 4012 as my primary NOC and put my part-time RA experience as working experience. After you fill out all the forms, the system will generate a final points for you. You don't have to do anything special to fetch points.

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Hello guys....

I am Ph.D. with chemistry as my main subject. Afrer completion of my degree, Afrer that I worked as a Research Associate and then also as Post doctoral fellow (more than 5 yeats)..I have more than 40 publications....My question is should I use NOC 4012 or NOC 2112 (Chemist)....I am not sure.... Please help

tbnb

May 31, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
03-10-2017
Doc's Request.
none requested
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
18-10-2017
IELTS Request
26-05-2017
Med's Request
15-09-2017
Med's Done....
30-09-2017
Interview........
none scheduled
Passport Req..
28-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2018
LANDED..........
TBD
I used 4012 in my application. I am now passing IP2 and waiting for PPR.
Hi Zessie,

I have applied in the same noc code, received ITA on August 23rd, now filling out PR application.
I need your help regarding what should be written in personal history as I worked part-time while enrolled full-time as student. Also, if I have few months gap, how to explain that? And do they ask to upload any supporting docs for personal history?

Appreciate your suggestions

Zessie

Star Member
Feb 27, 2017
United States
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-13-2017
AOR Received.
06-13-2017
Med's Done....
07-10-2017
Passport Req..
02-08-2017
Hi Zessie,

I have applied in the same noc code, received ITA on August 23rd, now filling out PR application.
I need your help regarding what should be written in personal history as I worked part-time while enrolled full-time as student. Also, if I have few months gap, how to explain that? And do they ask to upload any supporting docs for personal history?

Appreciate your suggestions
Hi:

I put in two items in personal history, one as employment and another as the academic activity, both covering the same period.

I do not have any gaps in between so I am not clear how to explain a gap if any.

They didn't ask for any additional documents at all but I did include the tax documents (W2s in my case) along with the employment letter.

Reactions: tbnb

moferanmi

Sep 21, 2011
Hello!

Please I need your help.

I have created my profile with NOC 4012. I also included my foreign experience (9 months). My IELTS is R9 L8.5 W7 S8.5.
My CRS is 441
I noticed that I got 25 points under Skill transferability factor: Foreign experience.
Since my foreign experience is less than 1 year, do you think I deserve to get 25 points?
I already have an ITA with cut off 441.
Should I withdraw the application?

thanks for your help!

Haaz

Dec 27, 2018
H
I worked as Research Assistant in U.S.A during my Ph.D education in genetics from 2007 to 2012, 20 hours/week, with annual salary as $20000

My job duties are:

1.Study the behaviors and stress response mechanism of plants under salt stress, heat stress, and drought stress.
2. Perform the experiments and collect tissue sample and specimens from plants to study the molecular pathway in plant stress response, and develop transformation construct with recombinant DNA technology to over-express microRNA, small peptide to improve the plant growth and resistance under different stress.
3. Design research strategies for research projects and trained several junior lab assistants.
4. Generate experiment reports, analyze test results and prepare manuscripts for journal publication, book chapter and patent.
5. Perform analysis on large public datasets with biostatistics and bioinformatics tools
6. Develop new transformation techniques to breed novel plant cultivars with stress resistance and better growth rate.
7. Study the fungi pathogen mechanisms of xxx in xxx, and develop a novel peptide transformation technology to improve xxx disease response.
8. Published 5 papers (3 first author) in the peer-reviewed international journals, 2 book chapters and 2 patents.

Hi.
Just wanted to confirm if the NOC 2121 worked for u? Have u received your PR?
Thanks

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
Hello, please if I receive my reference letter and the title of my work is "research scientist in exercise physiology". in this case, I do my research on the CNP site "scientific researcher" as my main profession or "exercise physiologist"?
Knowing that this is my experience during my doctoral studies. and all main duties and responsibility was in the collect and the analyse of the data, publication of scientific articles, statistical analysis in the field of exercise physiology....
THANKS

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
Hello, please if I receive my reference letter and the title of my work is "research scientist in exercise physiology". in this case, I do my research on the CNP site "scientific researcher" as my main profession or "exercise physiologist"?
Knowing that this is my experience during my doctoral studies. and all main duties and responsibility was in the collect and the analyse of the data, publication of scientific articles, statistical analysis in the field of exercise physiology....
THANKS
Per your own interpretation, you were performing the duties as a "research assistant" while you were a full-time doctoral student.