+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ph.D Research Assistant as NOC 2121 or NOC 4012

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
Selon votre propre interprétation, vous exerciez les fonctions d'« assistant de recherche » alors que vous étiez doctorant à temps plein.
Thank you very much for your response
So please i choose the NOC code " 4012" for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants. it is ok to practice this profession even though I was a Phd student?
I also teach as a temporary teacher at the university during my phd studies
thanks

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
Hello, please if I receive my reference letter and the title of my work is "research scientist in exercise physiology". in this case, I do my research on the CNP site "scientific researcher" as my main profession or "exercise physiologist"?
Knowing that this is my experience during my doctoral studies. and all main duties and responsibility was in the collect and the analyse of the data, publication of scientific articles, statistical analysis in the field of exercise physiology....
THANKS
It seems you are mainly enrolled in a full time PhD study program. Yes it involve doing research tasks. But, what you are doing does not count as a valid working experience. May be you have a scholarship but you don't pay TAX. It is not like a CV where you are allowed to claim expertise by saying I was doing research assistance in that field.

Some payed internships counts as a valid working experience, you have to check.

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
Thank you very much for your response
So please i choose the NOC code " 4012" for Post-secondary teaching and research assistants. it is ok to practice this profession even though I was a Phd student?
I also teach as a temporary teacher at the university during my phd studies
thanks
Per NOC 2021 Version, a graduate research assistant may choose "41201" as the NOC if that fits your primary duties. If you were a full-time student, you may be eligible to claim your part time graduate research assistant experience (up to 20 hours per week only). I do not think you can claim a part time teaching position in addition to the 41201 NOC as I assume being a teaching assistant may also be part of your duty as a graduate assistant.

You may further consult your lawyer if you have one on this matter.

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
Per NOC 2021 Version, a graduate research assistant may choose "41201" as the NOC if that fits your primary duties. If you were a full-time student, you may be eligible to claim your part time graduate research assistant experience (up to 20 hours per week only). I do not think you can claim a part time teaching position in addition to the 41201 NOC as I assume being a teaching assistant may also be part of your duty as a graduate assistant.

You may further consult your lawyer if you have one on this matter.
Yes i was a phd student in full time. So please i choose the noc code 4012 which actually covers almost all my functions in the laboratory? it is not a problem if i was a Phd student when i did this work?
thank you very much

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
It seems you are mainly enrolled in a full time PhD study program. Yes it involve doing research tasks. But, what you are doing does not count as a valid working experience. May be you have a scholarship but you don't pay TAX. It is not like a CV where you are allowed to claim expertise by saying I was doing research assistance in that field.

Some payed internships counts as a valid working experience, you have to check.
hello,
But I took commissions for the research tasks and also I got paid for my teaching tasks.

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
Yes i was a phd student in full time. So please i choose the noc code 4012 which actually covers almost all my functions in the laboratory? it is not a problem if i was a Phd student when i did this work?
thank you very much
Please reference IRCC official language: Eligibility to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) - Canada.ca

For claiming your skilled working experience while you were a fulltime student,

Work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:
  • was paid by wages or commissions
  • was continuous (no gaps in employment), and
  • meets all the other requirements of the Program

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
hello,
But I took commissions for the research tasks and also I got paid for my teaching tasks.
You need to prove that your stipend is continuous without gaps in between throughout the period you claimed your NOC as 41201. It basically translates as "you were on a payroll with regular employee benefits at maximum 20 hours per week as a part-time graduate research assistant".

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
You need to prove that your stipend is continuous without gaps in between throughout the period you claimed your NOC as 41201. It basically translates as "you were on a payroll with regular employee benefits at maximum 20 hours per week as a part-time graduate research assistant".
Is the reference letter signed by my two thesis supervisors is enough? in this letter my salary, working hours and duration are mentioned.
knowing that number of hours per week is 35h

Last edited:

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
hello
please Is the reference letter signed by my two thesis supervisors is enough? in this letter my salary, working hours and duration are mentioned.

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
hello
please Is the reference letter signed by my two thesis supervisors is enough? in this letter my salary, working hours and duration are mentioned.
Per the guideline, the reference letter may be signed by your direct supervisor. Applications for permanent residence programs subject to the Express Entry completeness check - Canada.ca

However, it depends on whether you are claiming your research assistant work as full time or part time. According to the guideline, if it is part time, you can not claim 35 hrs per week - (based on what authorization you had while you were serving as a research assistant if you were not pursing your PhD in your home country, reasoning is listed below) (Eligibility to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry) - Canada.ca). You can work more or less than 15 hours per week but IRCC do not calculate working time more than 30 hours per week.

Also, depends on where you were serving as a graduate research assistant, if you were also on a temporary visa status outside of your home country (e.g., US), your student status should be extremely clear on how many hours you can work while you were a full time student. If you disclose more than the authorized time while you were a full time student, there might be a repercussion. It does not make sense you were a fulltime student while working more than 20 hours a week on campus (except summer/winter break).

Last edited:

Marwa 20

Jul 17, 2023
Émirats arabes unis
Per the guideline, the reference letter may be signed by your direct supervisor. Applications for permanent residence programs subject to the Express Entry completeness check - Canada.ca

However, it depends on whether you are claiming your research assistant work as full time or part time. According to the guideline, if it is part time, you can not claim 35 hrs per week - (based on what authorization you had while you were serving as a research assistant if you were not pursing your PhD in your home country, reasoning is listed below) (Eligibility to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry) - Canada.ca). You can work more or less than 15 hours per week but IRCC do not calculate working time more than 30 hours per week.

Also, depends on where you were serving as a graduate research assistant, if you were also on a temporary visa status outside of your home country (e.g., US), your student status should be extremely clear on how many hours you can work while you were a full time student. If you disclose more than the authorized time while you were a full time student, there might be a repercussion. It does not make sense you were a fulltime student while working more than 20 hours a week on campus (except summer/winter break).
Hello, thank you for your answer
I did my thesis in co-direction between tunisia and france.
the thesis was based on research (80%) and teaching (20%) only. which mean we didn't have no classes, exams or education programme at all, so full time for research and teaching and we are pyaed (salary or comission). So in this case is ok or no please?

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
Hello, thank you for your answer
I did my thesis in co-direction between tunisia and france.
the thesis was based on research (80%) and teaching (20%) only. which mean we didn't have no classes, exams or education programme at all, so full time for research and teaching and we are pyaed (salary or comission). So in this case is ok or no please?
Sorry, I can not further assist you on this special situation as I do not know what the regulations of your eligibility to work in both countries and your education program setup. Please closely reference the program implementation guide and the completeness check of express entry from IRCC. As long as you think you've provided what they ask for. The ball is in their court to determine whether or not your experience is valid.

ndoan95

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
Dear all, I have read through the comments and did some research. However, I would still like to ask for your opinion before I include the NOC 41201 experience OUTSIDE of CANADA as part of my work history to claim points. Please kindly advise. Hereby is my situation:

(1) Did a PhD in Canada, have obtained 1-year of CANADA work experience (after the PhD) under NOC 21311 - Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers). I am now in EE pool under ECE, FSW, and STEM eligibilities.
(2) Did a Master in South Korea, also worked as an Research Assistant during that time, i.e., conduct research, write conference/journal papers, but with no teaching assitant duties for 20 months.

My question is: Can I claim points for 1 year of foreign work experience under the Research Assistant position (NOC 41201) obtained in South Korea? If yes, is a letter of employment rendered from the professor with all the details (job positions, duties, salary per year, hours of works, period of work) adequate? Or it has to be a letter from the university?

Please kindly adviseas if it is possible to claim points on (2), I would have a much higher chance of obtaining an ITA.

Thank you all very much for your valuable time and feedback!

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
Dear all, I have read through the comments and did some research. However, I would still like to ask for your opinion before I include the NOC 41201 experience OUTSIDE of CANADA as part of my work history to claim points. Please kindly advise. Hereby is my situation:

(1) Did a PhD in Canada, have obtained 1-year of CANADA work experience (after the PhD) under NOC 21311 - Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers). I am now in EE pool under ECE, FSW, and STEM eligibilities.
(2) Did a Master in South Korea, also worked as an Research Assistant during that time, i.e., conduct research, write conference/journal papers, but with no teaching assitant duties for 20 months.

My question is: Can I claim points for 1 year of foreign work experience under the Research Assistant position (NOC 41201) obtained in South Korea? If yes, is a letter of employment rendered from the professor with all the details (job positions, duties, salary per year, hours of works, period of work) adequate? Or it has to be a letter from the university?

Please kindly adviseas if it is possible to claim points on (2), I would have a much higher chance of obtaining an ITA.

Thank you all very much for your valuable time and feedback!
If you have accumulated one year Canadian work experience, it is more likely that you get ITA under CEC. In that case there no need to justify your foreign work experience. You can mention them in you personal history.

Reactions: ndoan95

ndoan95

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
If you have accumulated one year Canadian work experience, it is more likely that you get ITA under CEC. In that case there no need to justify your foreign work experience. You can mention them in you personal history.
Thank you, my point is, can I claim extra point for the RA experience obtained in Korea? This would increasse my score by 53 CRS points.