+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

dreamonking

Feb 26, 2022
I have 3 courses left 2 of them are practicum (5 and 4 credits) and one is 3 credits. My COOP work permit was supposed to come before fall and I would be working this fall but it was late so I couldn’t apply for this fall. There is a condition in COOP in my uni where you need to complete COOP before taking practicum courses which is why the university advised me to take a scheduled break where I can take the 3 credit subject now, apply for COOP in spring and complete my practicum in summer. However, in IRCC it is written that only last semester can be taken as part-time (less than 9 credits) and we need to provide IRCC with proof of why we took the scheduled breaks. The university doesn’t have a policy where we can ask for an official letter stating our scheduled break, but while providing its transcript it does give us a letter with uni letterhead which is signed by the director where it states it’s the full-time or part-time definition, it’s conditions for scheduled breaks. Will that form be enough to convince IRCC that I can study part-time right now and do COOP next term and complete my course with the practicum? Or do you not suggest taking the part-time course as it complicates the matter?

My course will be 20 months long if I don’t do the COOP and take 9 credits this semester and 3 credits for the last. On one of the university websites, it is clearly stated the course is 2 years long however students can accelerate the process and complete their studies within 24 months. Can I get a 3-year work permit on the basis of that as I will only have a 20-month long course? For now, my main concern is PGWP. Can you please provide me insight and what to do?

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
If you have an international student advisor or team in your college/university, I suggest you talk to them. As they will be familiar with both IRCC rules, and your university programs. My university had a RCIC who could give advice on this kind of stuff legally.

I'm no expert, but you may need to attach the transcripts and the letter you're talking about when you apply for your PGWP next year, hoping that the IRCC agent who reviews your application understands your reasons.