+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp

hakunamatata2222

Apr 9, 2021
Hi, I have completed my studies in December,2020 but had to come to India due to an emergency. I have my study permit valid until sep, 2021.
I have applied for my pgwp on feb 10 and still waiting for approval. Has anyone applied for pgwp from India and how long does it take for approval?

also, i have a job offer letter from Canada. Since I have a valid study permit, can I travel now without waiting for the pgwp approval?

Alphy121

Apr 1, 2021
Since the study is over, i think pgwp should be approved.it’s almost 3 month since I applied.. I think processing period from India is much longer

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I have completed my studies in December,2020 but had to come to India due to an emergency. I have my study permit valid until sep, 2021.
I have applied for my pgwp on feb 10 and still waiting for approval. Has anyone applied for pgwp from India and how long does it take for approval?

also, i have a job offer letter from Canada. Since I have a valid study permit, can I travel now without waiting for the pgwp approval?
You need your PGWP as your study permit expires 90 days after graduation. You don’t have a valid study permit or TRV. Processing is over 9 weeks so you should hear by the end of April or early May.

Last edited:

hakunamatata2222

Apr 9, 2021
You need your PGWP as your study permit expires 90 days after graduation. You don’t have a valid study permit or TRV. Processing is over 9 weeks so you should hear by the end of April or early May.
Hopefully! It’s already been 8 weeks since I applied and they are only increasing the processing time every week.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hopefully! It’s already been 8 weeks since I applied and they are only increasing the processing time every week.
So in a week, you can send a webform on your status but don’t expect an immediate response. All you can do is wait. Make sure your job offer letter is updated once you get your PGWP.

hakunamatata2222

Apr 9, 2021
So in a week, you can send a webform on your status but don’t expect an immediate response. All you can do is wait. Make sure your job offer letter is updated once you get your PGWP.
Hi,

I have applied for student visa extension from India in Nov 2020 and it was approved in Jan 2021. However, my course was completed in December 2020 and I applied for work permit on Feb 10, 2021. I got a message in my cic account on my student visa extension application saying that it was refused. It specifically says:

I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• Your study permit extension expired 90 days after the completion of your program under R222(1)(a). Please wait for the decision on your PGWP application.

Is it common for cic to reject a visa after approving it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I have applied for student visa extension from India in Nov 2020 and it was approved in Jan 2021. However, my course was completed in December 2020 and I applied for work permit on Feb 10, 2021. I got a message in my cic account on my student visa extension application saying that it was refused. It specifically says:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• Your study permit extension expired 90 days after the completion of your program under R222(1)(a). Please wait for the decision on your PGWP application.

Confused...was your student visa extension approved while you were outside India.

You can’t apply for a student visa extension outside Canada so that is why it was refused. A student visa is to continue studies in Canada. Outside Canada, you should have applied for a new student visa. So now your study permit has expired.

hakunamatata2222

Apr 9, 2021
Confused...was your student visa extension approved while you were outside India.

You can’t apply for a student visa extension outside Canada so that is why it was refused. A student visa is to continue studies in Canada. Outside Canada, you should have applied for a new student visa. So now your study permit has expired.
Sorry I should have been clear. I applied for my study permit extension from Canada in March, 2020 and got approved. But I didn’t get my visa stamping on passport. And I had to travel to India due to an emergency and in order to travel back I needed a visa on my passport. So I applied for visa stamping in Nov, 2020 from India and that was approved. But before I could go back I completed my studies and applied for pgwp in feb 2021

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry I should have been clear. I applied for my study permit extension from Canada in March, 2020 and got approved. But I didn’t get my visa stamping on passport. And I had to travel to India due to an emergency and in order to travel back I needed a visa on my passport. So I applied for visa stamping in Nov, 2020 from India and that was approved. But before I could go back I completed my studies and applied for pgwp in feb 2021
Still confused. You applied for a study permit extension in March 2020, got the extension and left. A study permit automatically expires 90 days after graduation. So you no longer need a study permit. You now wait for your PGWP to be processed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When did the extension you got fromMarch 2020 expire?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

You said you had a study permit extension that was approved until Jan 2021. Did you actually have documents showing that it was approved. It doesn’t sound like you were in Canada during the process which could be the issue. Extensions are really meant for those residing and studying in Canada Does it specify whether it was refused but you retained your study permit until you applied for PGWP.

hakunamatata2222

Apr 9, 2021
You said you had a study permit extension that was approved until Jan 2021. Did you actually have documents showing that it was approved. It doesn’t sound like you were in Canada during the process which could be the issue. Extensions are really meant for those residing and studying in Canada Does it specify whether it was refused but you retained your study permit until you applied for PGWP.
No. I applied for study permit extension in March 2020 from Canada and it was approved in March 2020 itself. But I didn't apply for visa back then (visa stamping in passport) and I had to travel to India. When I wanted to come back to Canada, I had to show my passport with visa stamp for immigration purposes in order to enter Canada which I did not have. So I applied for that in Nov 2020, it was approved in Jan 2021 and I sent my passport for stamping. I got my passport at the end of Jan 2021 on which I had visa validity until Sep 2021.

In Feb 2021, I applied for pgwp from India.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No. I applied for study permit extension in March 2020 from Canada and it was approved in March 2020 itself. But I didn't apply for visa back then (visa stamping in passport) and I had to travel to India. When I wanted to come back to Canada, I had to show my passport with visa stamp for immigration purposes in order to enter Canada which I did not have. So I applied for that in Nov 2020, it was approved in Jan 2021 and I sent my passport for stamping. I got my passport at the end of Jan 2021 on which I had visa validity until Sep 2021.

In Feb 2021, I applied for pgwp from India.
So you still are waiting to hear if your PGWP is approved.