+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

Hamza Munawar

Nov 5, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Hope ya'll doing great. I am a fresh graduate from Seneca College from a 2 years International Business Post Secondary Diploma. I graduated in August 2019. I have some concerns regarding PGWP/Study Permits and concerned rules and regulations. They are:

1. Can we have both valid Study Permit and a valid PGWP at the same time?
2. As we have a given time span of 180 days after our graduation date or study permit expiry, does it matter alot if we apply for a PGWP within the 90 days after our graduation so that we may not loose our status or it doesnt bother anymore?
3. What happens to our Study Permit when we apply for a PGWP? Does it remain valid until the decision is being made for PGWP application or it gets invalid right after we apply for PGWP?
4. If our PGWP gets rejected, but our study permit was already valid for another year or two after our graduation. Will our study permit automatically invalidates or we can get a new enrolment letter and continue to study for a new program on that previous Study Permit?
5. What if our PGWP gets approved, do we loose our study permit status? If Yes, can we apply for a new study permit while having a PGWP too so that we could do part time studies while working full-time?

Please! I need most expert answers in their first conveniences. I look forward to hearing back from an expert asap.

Big Regards

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. You study permit is invalidated once your studies are over, even if the date on it is later than your completion.

2. If you want to stay in Canada, you need to maintain status. You must bother.

3. Your study permit is invalidated once you complete your studies. Or drop out.

4. Your study permit invalidates once you stop studying.

5. Your study permit invalidates once you stop studying. You can apply for new ones but they are hard to get from within Canada.

Reactions: Hamza Munawar

snow_bellus

Aug 4, 2019
Adding my two cents
1 and 2. As said in above.
3. As you apply for PGWP, you get on implied status till the decision for work permit is made. You can work full time on implied status however, your hiring is on the will of an employer and CiC doesn't issue any extra document to support your instance.
4. As above
5. Yes. I am very doubtful you can carry two permits at the same time. If you want to study further, apply for study permit extension and apply for pgwp later as it is issued once in life time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Everyone,

Hope ya'll doing great. I am a fresh graduate from Seneca College from a 2 years International Business Post Secondary Diploma. I graduated in August 2019. I have some concerns regarding PGWP/Study Permits and concerned rules and regulations. They are:

1. Can we have both valid Study Permit and a valid PGWP at the same time?
2. As we have a given time span of 180 days after our graduation date or study permit expiry, does it matter alot if we apply for a PGWP within the 90 days after our graduation so that we may not loose our status or it doesnt bother anymore?
3. What happens to our Study Permit when we apply for a PGWP? Does it remain valid until the decision is being made for PGWP application or it gets invalid right after we apply for PGWP?
4. If our PGWP gets rejected, but our study permit was already valid for another year or two after our graduation. Will our study permit automatically invalidates or we can get a new enrolment letter and continue to study for a new program on that previous Study Permit?
5. What if our PGWP gets approved, do we loose our study permit status? If Yes, can we apply for a new study permit while having a PGWP too so that we could do part time studies while working full-time?

Please! I need most expert answers in their first conveniences. I look forward to hearing back from an expert asap.

Big Regards
To clarify, your study permit is invalid 90 days after you finish your studies, regardless of what you apply for and what is approved/refused.

Hamza Munawar

Nov 5, 2019
To clarify, your study permit is invalid 90 days after you finish your studies, regardless of what you apply for and what is approved/refused.
Thanks for the kind reply.
We have 180 days, after graduation, to apply for PGWP but our study permit gets invalid after 90 days, after graduation.

My concerns are:

1. If I apply my PGWP while my study permit is still valid, can I work full-time while waiting for my decision and also apply for professional job?

2. If I apply my PGWP after my study permit gets invalid (90 days after graduation), will it negatively impact my application or not? Will I be eligible to work while the decision-making is in process?

3. Do I have to change my status to a Visitor Status, if my study permit becomes invalid 90 days after graduation and I haven't applied for PGWP yet, in order to stay for another 90 days (180 days deadline) in Canada legally and apply for a PGWP in those last 90 days ( second half of 180 days to apply PGWP) ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the kind reply.
We have 180 days, after graduation, to apply for PGWP but our study permit gets invalid after 90 days, after graduation.

My concerns are:

1. If I apply my PGWP while my study permit is still valid, can I work full-time while waiting for my decision and also apply for professional job?

2. If I apply my PGWP after my study permit gets invalid (90 days after graduation), will it negatively impact my application or not? Will I be eligible to work while the decision-making is in process?

3. Do I have to change my status to a Visitor Status, if my study permit becomes invalid 90 days after graduation and I haven't applied for PGWP yet, in order to stay for another 90 days (180 days deadline) in Canada legally and apply for a PGWP in those last 90 days ( second half of 180 days to apply PGWP) ?
1. Yes.

2. You would have to apply for Restoration, as you would be out of status.

3. Yes, you need to apply to change your status to visitor BEFORE the 90 days is up.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You aren't eligible to apply for a PGWP until you receive confirmation of the end of your studies. Very basic instruction on the website.

Riri15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Can I apply for a PGWP before graduation? Or do I need to wait after graduating?
You actually can do so after finishing your exams and had the grades online.
You can request a completion letter with your online transcript.

I finished my exams and got my grades by early May 2020
Applied on May 14 2020
Graduated on June 15 2020
Received my approval in the following months when things was running again.

Reactions: Anyw and ange1o

ange1o

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017

Applied on May 14 2020
Thank you for this information. Deserves a thumb up.

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019

Applied on May 14 2020
May I know if we can only submit the unofficial Transcript of Records in the student portal with completed status if the Letter of Completion is still not avaialble?

Riri15

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
May I know if we can only submit the unofficial Transcript of Records in the student portal with completed status if the Letter of Completion is still not avaialble?
Unfortunately no, you need both. You can easily request the letter of completion (mine mentioned that I've met all the requirements of my program and that I will be graduating on_the date of my graduation) at the registrar's office once all your grades are showing on the online transcript.

Reactions: Anyw and ange1o

Anyw

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Unfortunately no, you need both. You can easily request the letter of completion (mine mentioned that I've met all the requirements of my program and that I will be graduating on_the date of my graduation) at the registrar's office once all your grades are showing on the online transcript.
Thank you for your reply...much appreciated..i have few questions to ask:

1. what is the difference between student permit and student visa?
2. when you say submitting the PGWP application before the student permit expires, does it refer to the student permit given by the border officers at the airport upon arrival or the student visa stamped at the passport?

I am quite confused student permit expires on April 30, 2021 while the student visa stamped at the passport expires on July 30, 2021. Date of final exams ends on April 17, 2021 and Report of grades will be out by April 23, 2021. What if I will not be able to submit the Letter of Completion and Officiial Transcript of Records before April 30? Will I not be able to get the implied status and continue working? What is the best thing to do in this situation?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you for your reply...much appreciated..i have few questions to ask:

1. what is the difference between student permit and student visa?
2. when you say submitting the PGWP application before the student permit expires, does it refer to the student permit given by the border officers at the airport upon arrival or the student visa stamped at the passport?

I am quite confused student permit expires on April 30, 2021 while the student visa stamped at the passport expires on July 30, 2021. Date of final exams ends on April 17, 2021 and Report of grades will be out by April 23, 2021. What if I will not be able to submit the Letter of Completion and Officiial Transcript of Records before April 30? Will I not be able to get the implied status and continue working? What is the best thing to do in this situation?
1. A student visa (TVR) allows you to enter Canada if you are from a country requiring a visa to enter.
2. A study permit, allows you to attend school, it is issued when you enter Canada.
3. It refers to the expiry of the study permit

Reactions: Anyw and Riri15