+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

Jan 3, 2018
Am planning to study in SENECA college for a post graduate certificate, its a 1 year program, after i graduate can I get a PGWP? and how long is the duration of that work permit? and after the PGWP is over can i apply for a permanent residency?

Thank you in advance for your help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Am planning to study in SENECA college for a post graduate certificate, its a 1 year program, after i graduate can I get a PGWP? and how long is the duration of that work permit? and after the PGWP is over can i apply for a permanent residency?

Thank you in advance for your help
You will get a 1 year PGWP.

None of us can tell you if you'll qualify to apply for PR once the PGWP is done. That will depend on whether you meet the requirements. Generally speaking, it's much more difficult to apply for PR with only a 1 year PGWP.

Reactions: Haytham alqaisi
Jan 3, 2018

None of us can tell you if you'll qualify to apply for PR once the PGWP is done. That will depend on whether you meet the requirements. Generally speaking, it's much more difficult to apply for PR with only a 1 year PGWP.
1- what if I toked another program after I finish the first on (two different programs back to back) 1 year each, can i get a PGWP for 2 years , and can I then apply for PR?

2- Do I need a new visa for the second program?

3- The actual studying time will be 8 months but there is a vacation between them and the college say on its official website its a 1 year program, would it be counted as 8 months or 1 year?

Thank you for your help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1- what if I toked another program after I finish the first on (two different programs back to back) 1 year each, can i get a PGWP for 2 years , and can I then apply for PR?

2- Do I need a new visa for the second program?

3- The actual studying time will be 8 months but there is a vacation between them and the college say on its official website its a 1 year program, would it be counted as 8 months or 1 year?

Thank you for your help
1 - Yes, you can take another program. Again, no one here can tell you if you will qualify for PR after that. It will depend if you meet the requirements and have enough points to be selected or end up applying through a provincial program. You're going to need to spend time researching Canada's immigration programs to understand how all of this works.
2 - Only if your first one expires.
3 - I don't know.

HarshaPatil

Dec 15, 2018
Hello,
I have received acceptance from 3 colleges in Canada. I am planning to make a career in Filmmaking. 2 are in Toronto and 1 is Sault college. In Toronto, I have courses post-graduate certificates for 1 year. The Sault one is for 2 years. I have read and heard that the area around Sault college is not much developed or apt for filmmaking work. Whereas, Toronto is perfect for this industry.

I am aware that 1-year course will give me a PGWP for another 1 year only. A 2-year course will make me eligible for 3 years of PGWP. Couple of questions that I have are as follows:

1. Can I re-apply for PGWP after my first one expires? So that I get to work for 2 years?
2. Are there suitable jobs in film industry for students during college and after completing the course?
3. I can pay for college and GIC on my own. Is it still suggested to apply for a loan from a bank and then clear it gradually? Are there any additional points or credibility or civil score that gets considered during PR process if one has taken and cleared a loan?

Any additional related information is welcome. Help and guidance is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
#harshapatil

1)a PGWP is a one time only opportunity so no you cannot apply for another.

I have no knowledge about film industry but would speculate it is very competitive field to get into.

Assume you know to avoid private colleges which would not qualify for a PGWP.

Reactions: HarshaPatil

HarshaPatil

Dec 15, 2018
#harshapatil

1)a PGWP is a one time only opportunity so no you cannot apply for another.

I have no knowledge about film industry but would speculate it is very competitive field to get into.

Assume you know to avoid private colleges which would not qualify for a PGWP.
Thank you for the response and help.

Jan 3, 2018
1 - Yes, you can take another program. Again, no one here can tell you if you will qualify for PR after that. It will depend if you meet the requirements and have enough points to be selected or end up applying through a provincial program. You're going to need to spend time researching Canada's immigration programs to understand how all of this works.
2 - Only if your first one expires.
3 - I don't know.

The college says on its website that its a 1 year program (one calendar year) but the actual studying time will be 8 months (the program will run for 8 months only) My question is, will the government give me PGWP for 12 months or 8 months

Raajvinder

Feb 1, 2019
I completed one year postgraduate diploma from niagara and after I take four maonth gap to apply for my second postgraduate diploma. Now I completed my second one year post graduate diploma. Can anyone tell me how many duration of pgwp I can get after applying.

Jeet94

Apr 8, 2018

Hello I have a query, maybe you can resolve it. I wanted to understand if my one year course gets over in May 2020 and I apply for the PGWP in June 2020 what will be the date on the work permit, will it be counted from the date of application (June 2020) or the date of issuance of PGWP (after 4 months of processing time)