+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP work permit ending

Rudra@5593

Star Member
Jul 11, 2017
Hello All,

my PGWP work permit is expiring on oct 23. i am waiting for CEC drew, my pints are 453. is there any way i can extend my work permit? is government is helping people with extinction? bcz of Covied i was not able to apply IELTS and it is impacting on my status now.

any thought or advice will be valuable.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Hello All,

my PGWP work permit is expiring on oct 23. i am waiting for CEC drew, my pints are 453. is there any way i can extend my work permit? is government is helping people with extinction? bcz of Covied i was not able to apply IELTS and it is impacting on my status now.

Apply for a visitor visa, so you can remain in the country for now. However, you won't be able to work after October 23 until you get get called in the draw and get your AOR and pass the completeness check. After the completeness check is completed, you receive the BIL and get notified you passed your medical.

You can then apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit(BOWP).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Apply for a visitor visa, so you can remain in the country for now. However, you won't be able to work after October 23 until you get get called in the draw and get your AOR and pass the completeness check. After the completeness check is completed, you receive the BIL and get notified you passed your medical.

You can then apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit(BOWP).
That's not really accurate. You must be holding a valid work permit at the time you apply for the BOWP to qualify. OP won't qualify for a BOWP if ITA is recieved after October 23.

Reactions: assen89 and jes_ON

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

Unfortunately work permit extensions aren't being granted in these situations. However you can certainly change your status to visitor and remain in Canada without working while you wait for ITA and then PR.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
That's not really accurate. You must be holding a valid work permit at the time you apply for the BOWP to qualify. OP won't qualify for a BOWP if ITA is recieved after October 23.
Thanks for the correction.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
What if he apply Lmia or Lmia excempt work permit? Can we start working right away or wait for approval?

bpink

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
Hello! I was in the same position as you. My PGWP expires this October 1st. My company hired an immigration lawyer in order to keep me working. They applied for a LMIA exempt work permit and submitted it on the same day my PGWP expires and I am able to continue working continuously.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello! I was in the same position as you. My PGWP expires this October 1st. My company hired an immigration lawyer in order to keep me working. They applied for a LMIA exempt work permit and submitted it on the same day my PGWP expires and I am able to continue working continuously.
Did your employer submit job offer through employer portal

Max003

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Hello All,

Regrettably, you cannot extend your PGWP as it is once in a lifetime opportunity. The only exception is, you need AOR to bridge your open work permit, not just an ITA. However, if you want to stay in Canada for a while you should apply for visitor's records, not the visitors visa. In order for IRCC to approve your request, you need to prove to them why you need to stay in Canada after your PGWP expiry (Just tell them you don't want to risk your health by traveling out of the country during the COVID situation) Lastly, make sure you apply visitor's records at least 30 days before the expiration of your PGWP otherwise, you lose your status in Canada.

Last edited: