+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP with V-1 Visitor Visa

ahmed_ahmed90

Jul 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a valid PGWP and i applied for a TRV in order to travel back home and come back to Canada. After getting my stamped passport i found that the visa category is V-1 Visitor with a validity duration beyond my work permit. Is this normal? and can i enter Canada after travelling home with no problem or i will have to leave in 6 months as for V-1 holders ?

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have a valid PGWP and i applied for a TRV in order to travel back home and come back to Canada. After getting my stamped passport i found that the visa category is V-1 Visitor with a validity duration beyond my work permit. Is this normal? and can i enter Canada after travelling home with no problem or i will have to leave in 6 months as for V-1 holders ?
TRV and Work permit are two different things. PGWP allows you to work. TRV lets you sit on the plane and present yourself before the border officer at the airport/land border.

You can only work until the expiry date of your PGWP. Now the good thing is once your PGWP expires and you leave, you can always come back as a visitor with that TRV that was issued beyond that of your PGWP.

The border officer then will decide whether to let you in or not as they do with any tourist/visitor.

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hello everyone,

Well, when I got my TRV, it was W-1 Worker category. I suggest you call IRCC to find out if it matters what the category is.

Another member also faced the same issue, please read the thread linked below. He/she called IRCC and was told that it's not a problem that it's V-1 Visitor category.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/query-i-have-an-open-work-permit-but-i-received-trv-showing-visa-type-as-a-visitor-visa.741426

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Well, when I got my TRV, it was W-1 Worker category. I suggest you call IRCC to find out if it matters what the category is.

Another member also faced the same issue, please read the thread linked below. He/she called IRCC and was told that it's not a problem that it's V-1 Visitor category.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/query-i-have-an-open-work-permit-but-i-received-trv-showing-visa-type-as-a-visitor-visa.741426
How recently did you get your TRV ? These are recent ones who are getting long-term V1's

Lucymax

Jul 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have the same issue. I have my PGWP( expires on 2024) and passport with V1 category(multiple entry) which expires on 2028.
Can I go back home and come back without any problems.
Many people, after March 2021 are getting V1 only.

shortybhavz

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Hello everyone,

Hi there. Did you query get solved?

I have made a similar application and reading your post I am worried I might face the same problem. It would be great if you could stay continuously for the duration of your permit. Let me know if you found an answer, would help me and lot of other people reading this.

Reactions: Priya99

Pandiya

Oct 5, 2021
Hi everyone, even I got the same V-1 instead of W-1. My only question is, will I be able to travel back to my country and re-enter to Canada? If someone can update that would be awesome

raynadukkandy

Apr 12, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2023
AOR Received.
19-01-2023
IELTS Request
02-12-2022
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
Yes, you can travel back to canada, even if the new visa issued is V-1 visitor. You would need to present to the CBSA officer your passport, visa and the WP/SP (if any)

Hello12

Jul 31, 2019
Hi,
Did anyone get a V1 visa for PGWP recently?
Just wondering if it is okay to travel on V1 visa and if any rules applicable would change in this case.

Thanks

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022
Hello everyone,

Yes. it's normal. they issue trv for 10 years.

raynadukkandy

Apr 12, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2023
AOR Received.
19-01-2023
IELTS Request
02-12-2022
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
Yes, i could re-enter Canada with a V-1 visa 2 times with no issues, obviously i had to show my SP and/or WP to the officer