+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP with spouse 2021 - processing time soon expires

zuxik649

Aug 18, 2021
Hello, my husband submitted PGWP on May 7 together with my OWP (from Canada). He previously had SP and I had OWP during his 2 years studies.
Till today there is no reply from IRCC and the application submission paper which allow us to work in the meanwhile (we both work full time) says till September 4, which is in less than 2 weeks.
What could we do next ? Could we ask for another extension while we are waiting a reply from IRCC ? If yes how ?
Is (was ) anybody in similar situation ?
Otherwise our legal status in Canada will expire right ?
Thank you

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello, my husband submitted PGWP on May 7 together with my OWP (from Canada). He previously had SP and I had OWP during his 2 years studies.
Till today there is no reply from IRCC and the application submission paper which allow us to work in the meanwhile (we both work full time) says till September 4, which is in less than 2 weeks.
What could we do next ? Could we ask for another extension while we are waiting a reply from IRCC ? If yes how ?
Is (was ) anybody in similar situation ?
Otherwise our legal status in Canada will expire right ?
Thank you
Not sure about your OWP, but for the PGWP you are on implied status until decision is made on your application. AFAIK, OWP can only be renewed once the PGWP is approved and your husband has 3 pay stubs from his NOC 0, A or B job. Since you applied for both together, I'm not sure what decision will be made on the OWP. Perhaps you should get your GCMS notes since it's been a few months you applied.

zuxik649

Aug 18, 2021
Not sure about your OWP, but for the PGWP you are on implied status until decision is made on your application. AFAIK, OWP can only be renewed once the PGWP is approved and your husband has 3 pay stubs from his NOC 0, A or B job. Since you applied for both together, I'm not sure what decision will be made on the OWP. Perhaps you should get your GCMS notes since it's been a few months you applied.
Thank you for your reply.
Both applications says we can work till Sept 4 or till a decision is made, whichever is first. So after that what ? Do we still have legal status but just can’t work ? Or do we not have implied status anymore ?
Didn’t heard about GCMS notes before but I don’t think I will get that before Sept 4 anyway.
The PGWP permit is most important, my OWP doesn’t matter that much.
I just want to be sure we will keep the legal status, which is totally not clear from the IRCC PGWP application paper.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you for your reply.
Both applications says we can work till Sept 4 or till a decision is made, whichever is first. So after that what ? Do we still have legal status but just can’t work ? Or do we not have implied status anymore ?
Didn’t heard about GCMS notes before but I don’t think I will get that before Sept 4 anyway.
The PGWP permit is most important, my OWP doesn’t matter that much.
I just want to be sure we will keep the legal status, which is totally not clear from the IRCC PGWP application paper.
I am not sure if the Sept 4 stipulation means you should stop working, but I'd think your implied status should still be in place so you won't suddenly be illegal. Below is what I can find on their website:

Work authorization after submitting a post-graduation work permit application
As per paragraph R186(w), graduates who apply for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit, before the expiry of their study permit are eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application if all of the following apply:

• They are or were the holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application.
  • They have completed their program of study.
  • They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 8 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate).
  • They did not exceed the allowable hours of work under paragraph R186(v).
Applicants remain eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application even after leaving and re-entering Canada.

Applicants must stop working as soon as they are notified by IRCC (for example, via their MyAccount, by email or by mailed letter) that their application for a work permit is refused.
-----------
You should give IRCC a call and speak to an agent. They will be able to confirm for you.

zuxik649

Aug 18, 2021
I am not sure if the Sept 4 stipulation means you should stop working, but I'd think your implied status should still be in place so you won't suddenly be illegal. Below is what I can find on their website:

Work authorization after submitting a post-graduation work permit application
As per paragraph R186(w), graduates who apply for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit, before the expiry of their study permit are eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application if all of the following apply:

• They are or were the holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application.
  • They have completed their program of study.
  • They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 8 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate).
  • They did not exceed the allowable hours of work under paragraph R186(v).
Applicants remain eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application even after leaving and re-entering Canada.

Applicants must stop working as soon as they are notified by IRCC (for example, via their MyAccount, by email or by mailed letter) that their application for a work permit is refused.
-----------
You should give IRCC a call and speak to an agent. They will be able to confirm for you.
Thanks, we did contact IRCC and they confirmed we both can continue to work till the decision is made and of course we will maintain the status in Canada. They only sent us a regular email with this statement.

Reactions: wonderbly

Arch1991

Apr 14, 2019
Thanks, we did contact IRCC and they confirmed we both can continue to work till the decision is made and of course we will maintain the status in Canada. They only sent us a regular email with this statement.
Hi, my wife and i are in the same boat. would you please tell us how did you contact IRCC ? was it via webform or a phone call !! how long it took them to answer? i would appreciate your answer. thanks in advance.

zuxik649

Aug 18, 2021
Hi, my wife and i are in the same boat. would you please tell us how did you contact IRCC ? was it via webform or a phone call !! how long it took them to answer? i would appreciate your answer. thanks in advance.
via call and wait time was under hour
When did you apply and within Canada?

Arch1991

Apr 14, 2019
via call and wait time was under hour
When did you apply and within Canada?
we have Applied in May 18 and it was from inside Canada. I don't know why it is taking them this too long. i have seen many people on this forum got tbeir PGWP and they applied in June. !!!!

zuxik649

Aug 18, 2021
we have Applied in May 18 and it was from inside Canada. I don't know why it is taking them this too long. i have seen many people on this forum got tbeir PGWP and they applied in June. !!!!
yeah exactly, we applied on May 7, it almost 4 months now!
But it’s good to hear, we are not alone. Probably applications with dependents are processing slower ? Which totally doesn’t make sense, the whole families should be their priority. Even more if we have kids. I am happy that we could at lease extend the Alberta health care for us, otherwise I will have to buy some private health insurance at least for my kid.
In case you have any news reg your application, please let me know here. I will do the same.
Thanks

Yosola

Star Member
Jul 20, 2020
But it’s good to hear, we are not alone. Probably applications with dependents are processing slower ? Which totally doesn’t make sense, the whole families should be their priority. Even more if we have kids. I am happy that we could at lease extend the Alberta health care for us, otherwise I will have to buy some private health insurance at least for my kid.
In case you have any news reg your application, please let me know here. I will do the same.
Thanks
Hi
Has your eligibility review started or still waiting
I applied May 28
Eligibility review started Thursday from inside canada

Arch1991

Apr 14, 2019
Thanks
I'm sorry to hear that ur application is delayed, and happy to know that ur insurance is extended and valid.

i will keep sharing updates here. and i hope good news will come soon