+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP with semester break

danyalshhd

Jun 7, 2020
Hey Guys! Will it affect my PGWP if I took one semester off as a leave of absence due to study visa refusal? I have 8 months program at Seneca.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you began the program without a study permit and were refused, and then reapplied again and were approved? Or you deferred your studies. According to current rules,

To be eligible for the temporary PGWP policy changes, these students must either

• have a study permit
  • have been approved for a study permit
  • submit a study permit application prior to beginning their program and eventually be approved
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/pgwpp.html

danyalshhd

Jun 7, 2020
So you began the program without a study permit and were refused, and then reapplied again and were approved? Or you deferred your studies. According to current rules,

To be eligible for the temporary PGWP policy changes, these students must either

• have a study permit
  • have been approved for a study permit
  • submit a study permit application prior to beginning their program and eventually be approved
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/pgwpp.html
Yes, I did start my program without a study permit in January and at the end of the first semester got a refusal, so they provided an option to take a leave of absence and in parallel applied for a study permit again to which I am awaiting a response. In this way, I don't have to study the first semester again. Hence, I deferred it to September.

I have heard that it lessens your chances to get PGWP if you took a leave of absence. Please help
Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I did start my program without a study permit in January and at the end of the first semester got a refusal, so they provided an option to take a leave of absence and in parallel applied for a study permit again to which I am awaiting a response. In this way, I don't have to study the first semester again. Hence, I deferred it to September.

I have heard that it lessens your chances to get PGWP if you took a leave of absence. Please help
Thanks!
So you completed your first semester without a permit and then was refused. According to current guidelines you would not be eligible for a PGWP.

danyalshhd

Jun 7, 2020
But your provided link says
In cases where a study permit application is submitted before a program starts but is refused, if a subsequent study permit application is received before the end of the program and is eventually approved, the studies undertaken after the first study permit application was received by the department count towards the length of the PGWP.
I am confused.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

I am confused.
Confusion is the word “ before program start”.
But if subsequent SP application is received before program end and approved, Then the time from your first SP application counts toward the length of PGWP. In my opinion, you are eligible provided they approve your SP.

Reactions: danyalshhd

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

I am confused.
But you are not planning to study for the second semester, right? That link says nothing about taking an unscheduled break, so the assumption is that you are continuing with your study in parallel with submitting an application.

Taking an unscheduled break will jeopardise your PGWP. Best bet will be to continue with your studies - your entire program is only 8 months long.

Reactions: Naturgrl

danyalshhd

Jun 7, 2020
But you are not planning to study for the second semester, right? That link says nothing about taking an unscheduled break, so the assumption is that you are continuing with your study in parallel with submitting an application.

Taking an unscheduled break will jeopardise your PGWP. Best bet will be to continue with your studies - your entire program is only 8 months long.
I took a semester break.
I read on IRCC that if the authorised leave is within 150 days, then PGWP will be given but not beyond 150 days.