+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP with 3 part-time semesters

Dec 22, 2019
Hello, firstly I want to thank everyone helping out on these forums, you're all life-savers!

I am an international student who just completed my undergraduate degree (4.5 years) in Montreal, QC. I would like to obtain a PGWP once my final grades come in, but I read that there is a requirement to have been a full-time student throughout every semester in Canada in order to be approved.

The problem is, I had 3 semesters in my first couple years here where, due to health reasons I either dropped a course or failed a course which brought me down to 3 instead of 4 required courses for those semesters, making me technically a part-time student.

I explained these circumstances in my application to renew my student visa, which was approved, allowing me to finish my degree 1 semester later than expected. I have obtained all 120-credits required and took multiple courses during summer semesters to get them.

Will my application for a PGWP for certain be rejected because of this? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of being approved? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I really want to stay in Canada and immigrate here in the future.

Thank you all for your help!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Its not certain it will be rejected the officer is allowed to use some discretion when making decisions but is not required to consider anything other than official rules. So you can only explain and include any supporting evidence if you have any.

Reactions: MTLStudentforPGWP

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Hello, firstly I want to thank everyone helping out on these forums, you're all life-savers!

I am an international student who just completed my undergraduate degree (4.5 years) in Montreal, QC. I would like to obtain a PGWP once my final grades come in, but I read that there is a requirement to have been a full-time student throughout every semester in Canada in order to be approved.

The problem is, I had 3 semesters in my first couple years here where, due to health reasons I either dropped a course or failed a course which brought me down to 3 instead of 4 required courses for those semesters, making me technically a part-time student.

I explained these circumstances in my application to renew my student visa, which was approved, allowing me to finish my degree 1 semester later than expected. I have obtained all 120-credits required and took multiple courses during summer semesters to get them.

Will my application for a PGWP for certain be rejected because of this? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of being approved? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I really want to stay in Canada and immigrate here in the future.

Thank you all for your help!
Hi! I also had 3 part time semesters and am seeking PGWP, were you able to get it? Did you have to submit a letter of explanation?

Dec 22, 2019
Hello, yes I got the PGWP in the end.
As long as you were initially registered for 4 courses each semester you should be fine and won't need an explanation, even if you ended up dropping or failing some of those courses later on. I got my PGWP without any issues or having to explain myself.
Best of Luck!