+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP to LMIA based WP --COVID

Jimi01

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Hi fellows,
Would really appreciate if we can share and discuss about the issue which is faced by many.

I am working under PGWP for less than 1 year and expiring by end Oct. Due to the Rona situation, I couldn't appear for IELTS nor the fsw general draw happened for the past 3 months. So PR-BOWP is not an option for me to extend my wp.

Time is running out. I had to approach my company for LMIA process. The problem is, it will take them 3 month to advertise the job then submit the application. Thus, there is no chance that I got LMIA approved before my wp expire. However, I found this on the CIC site:
COVID-19: workers changing jobs or employers
You don’t need to wait until your new employer-specific work permit arrives to start a new job or work for a new employer. Follow these steps to start working after you apply for a work permit.
You can submit your application without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) if your work permit expires within 2 weeks. You must include proof that the LMIA or CAQ request was made.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=701&top=17

My situation: 1) I will be working for the same employer assuming they will do a lmia for me. 2) I am switching from PGWP to closed wp. Does the above still apply to me?

Hope I am clear.
Thanks for reading.

cheers~