Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2018
Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked several times, however, changes in immigration laws/rules have been made recently so I want to know my chances.

I'm currently working in the area I studied (OOSD Object-Oriented Software developer certificate at SAIT) since January 2018. I was hired after my practicum.

So, I applied for the AINP on Nov 23th and my PGWP will expire on Feb 19th. The AINP processing inventory updated on Jan 2, 2019, sais they are assessing applications received before September 28, 2018. It seems there is not enough time to assess my application before my PGWP expired. Do I have any chance to be assessed after my work permit expire? Do I have to leave Canada on the date that my PGWP expire?

I'll appreciate any orientation or advice because I'm very worried about it

Thank!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You can change your status to visitor and stay in Canada after your PGWP expires but you wouldn't be able to work, otherwise you'll have to leave.

On a side note, are you not qualified for Express Entry?

Reactions: jjtomassi

jjtomassi

Jan 15, 2019
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2018
You can change your status to visitor and stay in Canada after your PGWP expires but you wouldn't be able to work, otherwise you'll have to leave.

On a side note, are you not qualified for Express Entry?
Thank you for answering so soon,

I already have a visitor visa ( I had it before to come to Canada because I came as a tourist, then I switched to international student). So, they will assess my applications having a valid visitor visa? I did not apply for Express Entry because I don't have enough points.

Thank you so much for your help

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP

I already have a visitor visa ( I had it before to come to Canada because I came as a tourist, then I switched to international student). So, they will assess my applications having a valid visitor visa? I did not apply for Express Entry because I don't have enough points.

I believe that AINP will still continue to asses your application based on the time you had submitted your application. But do send emails to update AINP about your change in status and also the progress of your AINP application.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017

A TRV in your passport is different from visitor status in Canada. The former is used only for entry into Canada whereas the latter is a form of legal status. Right now your legal status in Canada is worker, you need to change your status to visitor if you wish to stay after your permit expires.

jjtomassi

Jan 15, 2019
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2018
Thank you guys, you have been very useful...!!!

jjtomassi

Jan 15, 2019
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2018
One more question guys,

As I said, I applied on Nov 2018... What happens with my application if they reach the max number of invitations of 2018 before they assess mine? Do I have to apply again or the same application will be considered for 2019?