+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP rejection because of 20+ hours of work

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
I didn't realise that I was working more than 20 hours a week (~24/25) for around two months as I worked at a grocery store. In April I know I was allowed to work full time because of COVID. I realised when it was time to apply that I messed up, I'm wondering how much trouble I'm in for my PGWP now. Will they average hours for the year? And how do they access hours from 2020?

Reactions: lolcocks

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
January and Feb of 2020
No one can give you an accurate answer, they may overlook that or refuse you just based on that. They have been strict with issuance of PGWP and people are getting refused even for taking one semester break or working 10 extra hours.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you

Jessieboo

Dec 8, 2020
I didn't realise that I was working more than 20 hours a week (~24/25) for around two months as I worked at a grocery store. In April I know I was allowed to work full time because of COVID. I realised when it was time to apply that I messed up, I'm wondering how much trouble I'm in for my PGWP now. Will they average hours for the year? And how do they access hours from 2020?
Just wondering if you got your permit because I’m in the same situation lol

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
Just wondering if you got your permit because I’m in the same situation lol
hi! I'm actually still waiting to hear right now! I believe my application is being processed currently! I did speak to a lawyer though who said it shouldn't be a huge problem as long as I submitted a LOE which is what I did! She said that if I did that, and still got rejected it would be because of a very nasty officer! Hope that helps, and I'll update when I get my answer!

When did you apply?

Jessieboo

Dec 8, 2020
hi! I'm actually still waiting to hear right now! I believe my application is being processed currently! I did speak to a lawyer though who said it shouldn't be a huge problem as long as I submitted a LOE which is what I did! She said that if I did that, and still got rejected it would be because of a very nasty officer! Hope that helps, and I'll update when I get my answer!

When did you apply?
I haven’t applied yet I graduate next year and just realized I’ve been working over my hours which genuinely skipped my head. I’m going to stop doing that now but let me know how it goes because I’m really anxious now lol

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
They cant, they might only know if you fill the form with your working days. Ircc does not have access to tax records or payslips as some people think, tax records are private info and are not shared even btwn gov agencies in a regular fashion like this.
Cool story. You think IRCC will go through the trouble of making a "20 hour per week" rule and not have a system in place to check compliance when you apply for PGWP? Sure.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Cool story. You think IRCC will go through the trouble of making a "20 hour per week" rule and not have a system in place to check compliance when you apply for PGWP? Sure.
They cant check every rule. Try and find anyone who has been rejected for working extra hours, either they admitted it in the application form or they were caught while working, like the recent famous case. Ircc has no way of checking automatically, that is why for some immigration applications you have to submit your own proof of work docs, they don't have access, period! If they had access why do you need to submit payslips for spouse work permit? Why do you need to submit proof of employment for PR application? Simple they dont have this info.

Reactions: santzapaul

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
Do you know someone who’s been in a similar situation as mine and still got approved ?
Yes! There are lots of people who accidentally go over the limit! Recently someone who had 1.5 months of unauthorised work got their pgwp but they submitted an LOE explaining and apologising.