+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refused mentioning full-time status was not maintained.

MEETASHU

Nov 27, 2021
I started MS in computer science degree a two-year degree on September 1st, 2018, and graduated on January 15, 2020. I submitted the PGWP application on February 17, 2020. I received a refusal on August 14th, 2020 after six months of processing, and I am out of status as my study permit has expired already.

In the refusal letter, the following was mentioned:
Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

My degree is by default full-time studies unless a special request is made to change the status to part-time. I was registered full-time throughout my degree(even in summer/spring(2019) as it is a co-op option). It was very unfortunate as I did not make any mistakes on the application and submitted all the documents provided by the university. I believe this was an erroneous decision as they did not ask for additional documents.
My university does not mandate on how many courses a full-time student must take in a semester as long as the student pays full-time fees and according to the rules, immigration officers should defer to DLI(university) to infer the full-time status of a student. I paid full-time fees in all the semesters and took 2 or more courses in all the semesters.

As a result of the refusal, I had to quit my job and the more worrying part is my SIN number is about to expire this month and I am not insured. Now I am uncertain about the processing time because of COVID as it took 6 months to refuse my application. I strongly believe that there should be fairness in the process I do not think it was the case here,

My employer helped me apply for reconsideration with the help of a representative with a letter (explaining that my full-time status throughout the studies from the university) on August 21st, 2020. I would like to know what is the success rate for reconsideration? I wanted to know what are my next options(considering my financial situation) in case my reconsideration request is rejected?
My PGWP also got rejected stating the same reason that I wasn't full time …But I was full time student even confirmed from the college too .. worried what to do now my study permit is going to expire next month any suggestions...

Sguru962

Dec 20, 2020
My PGWP also got rejected stating the same reason that I wasn't full time …But I was full time student even confirmed from the college too .. worried what to do now my study permit is going to expire next month any suggestions...
Bro just take that letter from the college which confirms you're full time student and re-apply or apply for reconsideration

MEETASHU

Nov 27, 2021
Bro just take that letter from the college which confirms you're full time student and re-apply or apply for reconsideration
I have taken the letter from college and it shows I am full time same as my graduation letter shows which I attached to my earlier PGWP application would it help?

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
I have taken the letter from college and it shows I am full time same as my graduation letter shows which I attached to my earlier PGWP application would it help?
what made the visa officer think you were part-time? they can't just decide you are part time by themselves

MEETASHU

Nov 27, 2021
what made the visa officer think you were part-time? they can't just decide you are part time by themselves
I am also unaware of it because I have done full time study never did any mistake and I also attached my graduation letter which state I was full time but they deny my visa saying I didn't maintained full time status.

Reactions: Flyfa

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
I am also unaware of it because I have done full time study never did any mistake and I also attached my graduation letter which state I was full time but they deny my visa saying I didn't maintained full time status.
Mine too they denied , can u share your timeline? Did u apply for reconsideration?

OVD

Feb 9, 2023
***PGWP SPECIAL CASE***
Initial PGWP application : August 30, 2022.
Review eligibility: January 9, 2023.
Refusal: January 9, 2023.
Applied for Reconsideration by webform: January 23, 2023.
Review eligibility: February 14, 2023.
Approved: February 14, 2023.

More Details:

Hello, I studied 3 Years Advanced Diploma. So, I was supposed to get 3 years of work permit. But, it got refused as I studied part-time in my Scheduled Break. So, I applied for reconsideration via webform and submitted the proof showing that the term I was part-time was my scheduled break. I got email mentioning that they have received to document on very next day of raising the webform. I got another email from officer on February 6, 2023 mentioning that My file have been sent to responsible office. On February 13, 2023 I got email that IRCC is waiting to hear from me (that means they want me to pay $100 that was refunded for open work permit and upload the receipt). I did that on very same day and my status got changed to submitted/processing from refusal. After 24 hours, I got email mentioning that we updated your application status. I logged in and found that the application was approved.

I hope you get in detail information about the case. I was so confused when I got refusal but I stood for myself. I asked couple of lawyers and they were suggesting me to reapply the PGWP along with the status of restoration with their own fees the total amount was $1750. But, I opted to go for reconsideration by myself.

I am not an immigration consultant but want to inform about the case as I wasn't having the information about this when I got refusal.

Thank you for reading this long message.