+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused/ Flagpoling Immediately/ Few days left until visa! - Please Advice!

TSPA

Aug 1, 2017
I am under a similar case.. I had my PGWP refused because of part-time classes in two fall semesters.. after I requested for a letter from the Dean's office to say that I was forced to take part time school because of the course conflicts and the classes were full.. attached the list of courses offered and the ones I needed to take to complete my degree.. attached an explanation letter .. has anyone done it ? did it help ?

Thank you

Bandla Ashok

Jul 12, 2017
Hello ,

It would be really kind if someone could take out time to reply to a question which I know has been answered a million times before but I am in a pretty bad situation so Thanks a ton in advance.

I recently applied for my Post graduation work permit and unfortunately it got refused saying I do not qualify for it although I meet all the requirements. I called the CIC agent and they have agreed to reconsider my case. They also asked me to re-apply for it.

Meanwhile Should I go to the US-Canada border and try to flagpole? I live 5 minutes away from the border. My student visa expires on January 23rd. Will I have a problem in Re-entry to Canada?
The only concern I have is the Re-entry. Also I am not sure if they do flagpole anymore? I dont want any trouble with the agents while my application is being reconsidered.

Please Advice.

Thank you so much
Hi Dude, just wondering did you receive your PGWP at PoE? Please share your experience. Thanks

Bandla Ashok

Jul 12, 2017
I got my PGWP by flagpoling (indeed not exactly flagpoling, but I did a day trip in the US and applied for the PGWP on my way back at the PoE). It worked. Back then, my Study Permit was to expire in 2 more days. Everything went very smoothly if you got all the required documents in order (and no need to fill in the form).
Importantly, you need your passport, still-valid Study Permit, most updated official transcripts which show the grades of last semester and that you have completed all requirements of the programme, a letter from the registrar of your institution that states clearly that you have completed all requirements of the programme (and with a note saying that you have been registered full time from xx to xx --bcoz I did a research degree that involved dissertation, the transcripts show no grade or course taken during the dissertation writing semesters... and I was also asked about it at the PoE).--- I think those are all that are needed (hope I did not miss any item).

But I have a small concern that you have been refused (though erroneously) for this same application by the CIC. I believe you will be asked about it. So I would advise you to best prepare to explain why that refusal was a mistake. I am not sure if that refusal would matter for flagpoling. But yes, this will be quick. It takes less than 20 minutes. Good luck!
Hi there, do you mind, can you please send me the list of documents or any relevant information whenever you get a chance please. Thanks

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
I am under a similar case.. I had my PGWP refused because of part-time classes in two fall semesters.. after I requested for a letter from the Dean's office to say that I was forced to take part time school because of the course conflicts and the classes were full.. attached the list of courses offered and the ones I needed to take to complete my degree.. attached an explanation letter .. has anyone done it ? did it help ?

Thank you
Hi dude. I am on a similar boat with you. whats your program? Did you take one course or two courses for the part-time?

puranik9

Aug 21, 2018
Hi Guys, any update about this?
I am about to apply for my pgwp now, and I am worried.
Hey! Did you end up applying for your pgwp? How was the process? Did you end up receiving it? I am in a similar position as most of the posts on this page, so would appreciate your help!

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
Not true, do your research before answering people. I just flagpoled and I got my new work permit.
Read reg 90 paragraph f. For foreign nationals.
Hi,

That means you got your work permit eventhough your visa(sticker) was expired?Were you holding a valid work permit when you flagpole?What if the current work permit is also expired but on implied status and visa sticker also expired, can I still flagpole?

Your response will be very much appreciated.

McAllen

Dec 30, 2017
Hello ,

It would be really kind if someone could take out time to reply to a question which I know has been answered a million times before but I am in a pretty bad situation so Thanks a ton in advance.

I recently applied for my Post graduation work permit and unfortunately it got refused saying I do not qualify for it although I meet all the requirements. I called the CIC agent and they have agreed to reconsider my case. They also asked me to re-apply for it.

Meanwhile Should I go to the US-Canada border and try to flagpole? I live 5 minutes away from the border. My student visa expires on January 23rd. Will I have a problem in Re-entry to Canada?
The only concern I have is the Re-entry. Also I am not sure if they do flagpole anymore? I dont want any trouble with the agents while my application is being reconsidered.

Please Advice.

Thank you so much
Did the flag polling work for you a friend of mine tried it and he had no issues I’m thinking of the same but how did it go for you

jessica900

Jul 5, 2017
Ontario
Category........
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
Nomination.....
OINP
AOR Received.
25-03-2017
Med's Request
01-03-2018/ 12-03-2018
Med's Done....
26-03-2018
Passport Req..
WAITING!
Did the flag polling work for you a friend of mine tried it and he had no issues I’m thinking of the same but how did it go for you
What was your friend's case? Did he have leave of absence under his study permit?

Nov 12, 2018
Hi,

That means you got your work permit eventhough your visa(sticker) was expired?Were you holding a valid work permit when you flagpole?What if the current work permit is also expired but on implied status and visa sticker also expired, can I still flagpole?

Your response will be very much appreciated.
Hi there can you please share your experience if you did flagpole while your visa and permit got
Expired and on implied status

RollinFine

Oct 19, 2018
I got my PGWP by flagpoling (indeed not exactly flagpoling, but I did a day trip in the US and applied for the PGWP on my way back at the PoE). It worked. Back then, my Study Permit was to expire in 2 more days. Everything went very smoothly if you got all the required documents in order (and no need to fill in the form).
Importantly, you need your passport, still-valid Study Permit, most updated official transcripts which show the grades of last semester and that you have completed all requirements of the programme, a letter from the registrar of your institution that states clearly that you have completed all requirements of the programme (and with a note saying that you have been registered full time from xx to xx --bcoz I did a research degree that involved dissertation, the transcripts show no grade or course taken during the dissertation writing semesters... and I was also asked about it at the PoE).--- I think those are all that are needed (hope I did not miss any item).

But I have a small concern that you have been refused (though erroneously) for this same application by the CIC. I believe you will be asked about it. So I would advise you to best prepare to explain why that refusal was a mistake. I am not sure if that refusal would matter for flagpoling. But yes, this will be quick. It takes less than 20 minutes. Good luck!
Hello smearingo,
1.Did you apply for a US visa in order to go to the US and flagpole back to Canada?

2.Is it possible for a person already holding a study permit to get a Work permit by flagpoling if he/she does not belong to a visa exempt nation?

Smearingo

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016 (received on 06-01-2016)
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016 (RPRF and PCC from Hong Kong)
Nomination.....
CSQ-PEQ-étudiant, issued: 23-12-2015, received: 30-12-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
04-07-2016 (submitted 13-07-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-01-2017 (photocopy of passport pages [visa-exempt country] + 2 recent photos); documents sent: 05-01-2017, delivered: unknown (always "out for delivery" since 09-01-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt Country, CoPR issued: 16-01-2017, GC-key/MyCIC account finalized: 19-01-2017, return envelope activated: 20-01-2017; CoPR received: 23-01-2017
LANDED..........
24-01-2017
Hello smearingo,
1.Did you apply for a US visa in order to go to the US and flagpole back to Canada?

2.Is it possible for a person already holding a study permit to get a Work permit by flagpoling if he/she does not belong to a visa exempt nation?
Oh I just realized your questions today....

I am not an expert on flagpoling. Based on what I learned from online resources, I believe (1) you don't need a US visa to flagpole. you could just tell the US customs officers that your purpose is to flagpole (that is, you don't intend to enter the US but go back to Canada right away). they will issue an administrative refusal form which u take it back to the Canadian side. [but for me personally, I had a US visa, so I actually did a day trip and come back to Canadian border for the visa.]
and for (2), from what I learned and have further read, if your study permit has not expired, you should be eligible to flagpole to get the work permit (providing that you fulfil the requirements to apply).

Reactions: RollinFine