+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused because I wasn't a full time student but I was?

tessadfr

May 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

I applied for a post graduation work permit back in November. For a little background, I came to Montreal for my license and then extended my study permit for two more years after being accepted into a graduate school. I was a full time student as my study permit was only for full time students and finished my courses in April 2019 before handing in my masters research paper in August 2019. I had to wait until September to get my research paper (which counted for a vast majority of the credits) approved and put in my transcript. I ordered an official transcript as soon as it was and when I received it, I sent it by mail along with the other documents for my application.

I wasn't allowed to open it to verify the information because it would have made it null but I've asked my department beforehand and they told me that on their end the research paper was indeed validated and on their transcript.

Because I sent it by the mail (I didn't know how to send them a sealed transcript with a digital application), I didn't receive any reference number to follow my case which made it hard to know where they were at and I couldn't submit the questionnaire form because I didn't have said reference number. (I only realized later I could have used my IUC client number)

By March I started worrying and trying to find ways to contact them, but then covid-19 hit and I lost my job and I was struggling financially because the government hasn't (and still isn't) giving me unemployment. (Now I am wondering if maybe it was because I have no status) Along with several personal tragedies, I ended up slightly distracted because I had to take care of so many other things, but still consistently checked my emails and processing times on their website. In April, when I realized I could use my IUC number, I sent in a form. At first the information I gave must have been incomplete because they sent a reply saying that they could not locate my application. After some back and forth I finally got an answer from them yesterday saying that my application had been refused on February 11.

I was pretty shocked because I always check my email and consistently run keywords to see if I've missed anything, but turns out I missed the one important email all the way back in February... In it, they said that my application was refused because I wasn't a full time student for the period of my graduate studies. When they listed the number of credits I took, I realized that my research paper (which is a big part of my credits) was not counted. I've sent them a form as soon as I received word back from them, explaining the situation and immediately requested a letter of attestation from my university stating that I was indeed a full time student, but I don't know what to do.

I completely understand that it was my fault for missing the email. I still have no idea how that happened and I am so mad at myself given that I check it almost obsessively normally. I barely have enough to cover next month's rent and the prospect of having to survive another 3 months jobless is slightly terrifying to me... Does anyone know what to do in a situation like this?

Thank you so much for reading.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
You can scan your official transcript and submit it online. It doesn't have to be sealed, obviously. There is no mention of having to submit a sealed transcript on the application website.

Apply for a visitor extension and resubmit your pgwp online.

Reactions: tessadfr

tessadfr

May 14, 2020
When I requested a letter of attestation through my school portal, it did give me the option of receiving a PDF version of it, however, I don't remember that being an option for the official transcript itself... We can only access an unofficial one through our portal that they wouldn't accept. I remember it being that way from my study permit extension application as well and when we receive the envelope there is a big stamp on it saying that it will be null if unsealed before it arrives to whichever institution is supposed to get it. But perhaps I've missed something on their website; it's entirely possible. I'm truly not an expert on this.

Thank you for the advice! I don't think I'm still within the time period to request for a reconsideration... So you believe it would be best to start a whole new application anew? Because of the unable to work situation it's a bit hard and I might have to go back to my homecountry at least for a bit if I want to earn a semblance of income to finance all of this... Does it take longer or is it harder to apply from outside Canada?

Very sorry to be asking all these questions, really I thank you for the answer! I know I messed it up, but I would like to find the solution that puts the least strain on my parents... So thanks again!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Ircc doesnt expect sealed transcripts so you should have opened and scanned it and applied online, doesnt matter what your uni puts on the envelope, but thats passed now.

When did you receive notification of graduation? I think you are out of time to apply again so getting them to reconsider would be the only option.

Also unfortunately you are probably out of status at this point which is a serious issue as far and getting any kind of permit.

tessadfr

May 14, 2020
Ircc doesnt expect sealed transcripts so you should have opened and scanned it and applied online, doesnt matter what your uni puts on the envelope, but thats passed now.

When did you receive notification of graduation? I think you are out of time to apply again so getting them to reconsider would be the only option.

Also unfortunately you are probably out of status at this point which is a serious issue as far and getting any kind of permit.
I really should have opened it then... Thank you for letting me know. It was my bad.

I officially completed all of my credits and applied for graduation at the very end of August if I'm not mistaken and my diploma at my graduation ceremony was handed in in November...

My study permit expired November 30 2019 so you are probably right... I am really not sure what to do...

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I really should have opened it then... Thank you for letting me know. It was my bad.

I officially completed all of my credits and applied for graduation at the very end of August if I'm not mistaken and my diploma at my graduation ceremony was handed in in November...

My study permit expired November 30 2019 so you are probably right... I am really not sure what to do...
You can't exactly scan a seal envelope...

As long as you apply within 180 days of your graduation, that'll be okay

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
You can't exactly scan a seal envelope...

As long as you apply within 180 days of your graduation, that'll be okay
180 days of receiving final grades or completion letter. Looking at OP's timeline that seem to have passed, unfortunately. Even more unfortunate is the fact that OP cannot apply for restoration as well since the 90 days have passed since refusal. Maybe @canuck_in_uk and @scylla can give better perspective, but it doesn't look good and OP will have been staying illegally at this point.

Question for anyone: Shouldn't the IRCC open sealed envelopes if they are included as part of paper applications? I have never applied by paper before, but I would think it is an easy mistake to make on OP's part unless they explicitly state not to.

tessadfr

May 14, 2020
180 days of receiving final grades or completion letter. Looking at OP's timeline that seem to have passed, unfortunately. Even more unfortunate is the fact that OP cannot apply for restoration as well since the 90 days have passed since refusal. Maybe @canuck_in_uk and @scylla can give better perspective, but it doesn't look good and OP will have been staying illegally at this point.

Question for anyone: Shouldn't the IRCC open sealed envelopes if they are included as part of paper applications? I have never applied by paper before, but I would think it is an easy mistake to make on OP's part unless they explicitly state not to.
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I know it was my fault for missing the email. I wouldn't have stayed illegally had I known I, well, was there illegally... I have gotten a hold of a number to call IRCC and I will see if they can tell me what my options are now and if I have to go back to my country as soon as possible or not... I'm sad however that it was refused over something that's not actually correct... I contacted the head of my department and he confirms I was full time and that the mistake was probably that they looked at my transcript as though it was an undergrad transcript when it was a grad transcript and the credit distribution is very different for both... Though it is too late to rectify now. I have to see what my options are as of right now.

But thank you very much for your responses, they've really helped me navigate this a little.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I know it was my fault for missing the email. I wouldn't have stayed illegally had I known I, well, was there illegally... I have gotten a hold of a number to call IRCC and I will see if they can tell me what my options are now and if I have to go back to my country as soon as possible or not... I'm sad however that it was refused over something that's not actually correct... I contacted the head of my department and he confirms I was full time and that the mistake was probably that they looked at my transcript as though it was an undergrad transcript when it was a grad transcript and the credit distribution is very different for both... Though it is too late to rectify now. I have to see what my options are as of right now.

But thank you very much for your responses, they've really helped me navigate this a little.
You need to leave Canada. Whether you can still apply for a PGWP or not, you are beyond the point of being able to Restore your status within Canada.

When did you actually first receive written confirmation of program completion? As per IRCC, that can be a transcript, a letter, an email, basically anything from the school to you showing the program was completed.

tessadfr

May 14, 2020
You need to leave Canada. Whether you can still apply for a PGWP or not, you are beyond the point of being able to Restore your status within Canada.

When did you actually first receive written confirmation of program completion? As per IRCC, that can be a transcript, a letter, an email, basically anything from the school to you showing the program was completed.
My transcript says that I was conferred my degree on November 10, if that is what we are talking about.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Have you called IRCC? Have they said they have sent the application for reconsideration? This is pretty much your only option now, for them to reverse the original decision, you cant apply again and you cant restore status given the timeliness.

tessadfr

May 14, 2020
Have you called IRCC? Have they said they have sent the application for reconsideration? This is pretty much your only option now, for them to reverse the original decision, you cant apply again and you cant restore status given the timeliness.
I have been trying but I've called... 17 times and I've been disconnected every time because they are getting too many calls...