+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refusal Reconsideration

MSH29

May 11, 2022
Hi,
my PGWP was refused on April 19th 2022 stating that i was not a full time student. However I was a full time student and applied for reconsideration on June 1st submitting additional proofs. They have open my file again today ( July 5th 2022 ) and the status changed from refusal to pending. I was refunded 100$ when I got the refusal letter on April . They have asked for that 100$ to process my file again. I have two questions:

1. is it a positive sign ?
2. How long does it take to get the reconsideration result ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
my PGWP was refused on April 19th 2022 stating that i was not a full time student. However I was a full time student and applied for reconsideration on June 1st submitting additional proofs. They have open my file again today ( July 5th 2022 ) and the status changed from refusal to pending. I was refunded 100$ when I got the refusal letter on April . They have asked for that 100$ to process my file again. I have two questions:

1. is it a positive sign ?
2. How long does it take to get the reconsideration result ?
1. Isn’t positive or negative
2. It’s a good sign that it is pending but there is no exact time frame.

MSH29

May 11, 2022
1. Isn’t positive or negative
2. It’s a good sign that it is pending but there is no exact time frame.
Hi, I got the approval today. But the officer issued 8 months of work permit. Whereas I was supposed to get at least 20 months of PGWP if not three. My length of the program was 20 months. At this point I am super pissed at the officer.

Should I apply for reconsideration again?
Is there any other options other than reconsideration that I can try ??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I got the approval today. But the officer issued 8 months of work permit. Whereas I was supposed to get at least 20 months of PGWP if not three. My length of the program was 20 months. At this point I am super pissed at the officer.

Should I apply for reconsideration again?
Is there any other options other than reconsideration that I can try ??
When does your passport expire? Did you attend one program or two? Were you full time with no breaks?

MSH29

May 11, 2022
When does your passport expire? Did you attend one program or two? Were you full time with no breaks?
Hi. My passport expires on 2026. It was one program. 20 months of continuous study with no break. I was a full time throughout the program

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi. My passport expires on 2026. It was one program. 20 months of continuous study with no break. I was a full time throughout the program
You can ask for reconsideration since you never started at another DLI/changed programs with original study permit, worked between programs etc. It is at discretion of VO.

halcurrent

Mar 18, 2019
Hello @MSH29,
I wish you the best of luck as you apply for reconsideration, hoping you get it sorted out. However, my wife is almost at the point of applying for PGWP.
She would be concluding her studies in Aug, 2022 and the Study Permit will expire in Sept. 2022
Would you be kind enough to share a bit of guidance on how to go about applying for the PGWP, i.e
1). When to send to send in/commence the application considering the expiration date of the Study Permit.
2). How to apply.
3). What are the basic requirement
4). Any other useful information.

Thanks so much.

NB:.
Would appreciate anyone that could also assist with useful tips. Thanks

MSH29

May 11, 2022
Hi everyone, my reconsideration request to extend my PGWP was forwarded to the responsible officer on August 21st , 2022 . I got an email confirmation from IRCC regarding this. As of today , no update from the officer. I have tried calling IRCC couple of times but couldn’t reach. Can anyone suggest what can be done if the officer doesn’t change his decision? . Is there any other legal actions that can be taken ? It is so ridiculous that an officer gives a wrong decision and stick to the wrong decision even when enough evidences are given to prove his decision was wrong .

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Hi everyone, my reconsideration request to extend my PGWP was forwarded to the responsible officer on August 21st , 2022 . I got an email confirmation from IRCC regarding this. As of today , no update from the officer. I have tried calling IRCC couple of times but couldn’t reach. Can anyone suggest what can be done if the officer doesn’t change his decision? . Is there any other legal actions that can be taken ? It is so ridiculous that an officer gives a wrong decision and stick to the wrong decision even when enough evidences are given to prove his decision was wrong .
Did you try contacting your MP? They can actually help in these issues. Contact both your Federal MP & Provincial MPP/MLA.

Your legal option is a judicial review at the Federal Court. Given that it's completely unreasonable on the officer's part, they'll probably settle out of court. Will cost you $1-3K, depending on the lawyer.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Did you try contacting your MP? They can actually help in these issues. Contact both your Federal MP & Provincial MPP/MLA.

Your legal option is a judicial review at the Federal Court. Given that it's completely unreasonable on the officer's part, they'll probably settle out of court. Will cost you $1-3K, depending on the lawyer.
Have you read through posts on this person’s story? PGWP approval not that cut and dry.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Have you read through posts on this person’s story? PGWP approval not that cut and dry.
Oh, right. I see it now. @MSH29 The lawyer option might end up costing significantly more than what I quoted in my post because your case is more complicated than you let on in your OP. I'd still advise you to consult with a lawyer though, if you aren't happy with the 8 months.

MSH29

May 11, 2022

Thank you. Any recommendations for lawyers?? I will contact MPs