+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP processing

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
hi all. applied for my PGWP from within Canada in may. Have since left canada with valid visa. when i re-enter, can I ask for pgwp at port of entry?

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
hi all. applied for my PGWP from within Canada in may. Have since left canada with valid visa. when i re-enter, can I ask for pgwp at port of entry?
See info from IRCC below - They are not going to issue you a PGWP at the airport. If you want to do that you'll have to go to a land crossing and use the 'flagpoling' option.

When you return to Canada:

• You may enter as a student if your study permit is still valid.
  • If we approve your post-graduation work permit while you’re away, you may enter as a worker.
  • If we’re still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor, and you can work without a work permit until we make a decision on your application.

deadpoolzj92

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
Just arrived with the same circumstances as you on 17th July 2022 (5 days back). I asked them to issue me a PGWP, they said that since your process is already more than two months in, you shall be issued a PGWP in due course/ time. Allowed to enter as student due to having a wp-ext document.

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
Just arrived with the same circumstances as you on 17th July 2022 (5 days back). I asked them to issue me a PGWP, they said that since your process is already more than two months in, you shall be issued a PGWP in due course/ time. Allowed to enter as student due to having a wp-ext document.
my concern is that i want to fly back to my home country in december. however, my visa expires august 31st. by the time i get a new TRV from within canada after my work permit, it might be too late. since, to apply for TRV in canada, you must have a valid work/study permit. any tips?

deadpoolzj92

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
my concern is that i want to fly back to my home country in december. however, my visa expires august 31st. by the time i get a new TRV from within canada after my work permit, it might be too late. since, to apply for TRV in canada, you must have a valid work/study permit. any tips?
Hi! so to my understanding, you want to visit back home in December 2022, but your TRV expires by August 31st.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get a new TRV until your PGWP is approved. Hopefully, May 2022 PGWP applicants will receive their approvals by September considering the current rate of application processing. You need a TRV in order to re-enter Canada, so in my opinion you have to wait to apply for it until the PGWP is approved. Good luck!

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
Hi! so to my understanding, you want to visit back home in December 2022, but your TRV expires by August 31st.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get a new TRV until your PGWP is approved. Hopefully, May 2022 PGWP applicants will receive their approvals by September considering the current rate of application processing. You need a TRV in order to re-enter Canada, so in my opinion you have to wait to apply for it until the PGWP is approved. Good luck!
That is correct. However, I am curious about if my TRV would be approved if I applied in Canada before the 31st, since my study permit will be valid at the time. If i apply, say on the 28th, for a TRV from inside Canada and explain that my PGWP is in process, what are the chances I will receive it for a reasonable length?

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022

Also, when did you apply for your PGWP? Any updates on your application?

deadpoolzj92

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
That is correct. However, I am curious about if my TRV would be approved if I applied in Canada before the 31st, since my study permit will be valid at the time. If i apply, say on the 28th, for a TRV from inside Canada and explain that my PGWP is in process, what are the chances I will receive it for a reasonable length?
Hi! For your TRV to be approved, you need to get your PGWP first. You cannot get your new TRV while your PGWP is processing unfortunately. Good luck!

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
Hi! For your TRV to be approved, you need to get your PGWP first. You cannot get your new TRV while your PGWP is processing unfortunately. Good luck!
wait so I have my study visa valid until the end of this month. What happens if I apply for a TRV while its still valid but it expires when being processed? Also, I am in Canada now.