+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[PGWP] part-time student for a year and half because of personal reasons and a surgery

dkdlkang33

Oct 14, 2017
I am an international student in Quebec. I am going to finish my undergraduate degree this December 2017. I was going to apply PGWP but today I learned that one of the requirements is to have been a full-time student except the last academic session. I had personal issues going on for the past two years and I failed some courses and had a surgery because of chronic sinus infection. I've been still full-time although there were other issues happening but I became a part-time in 2016 fall semester (from September 2016) and have been part-time so far. Can I apply for PGWP if I explain valid reasons to why I studied part-time for the last three semesters before graduation? For CAQ which requires me to be a full-time student as well, I showed proof and was able to obtain them twice without a problem. Does the government accept valid excuses for PGWP as well?

1. Can I apply for PGWP in my case? Do they have exemptions for their full-time requirement or is it absolutely required?
2. If I apply at the border rather than online and bring all the documents to prove that there was a valid reason, would this be a better option as I will be able to explain face to face?
3. If I am not eligible to apply, what's next? What am I supposed to apply for?

Thank you in advance. Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. You can certainly try to apply for a PGWP. Technically you PGWP should be refused - but it's possible CIC could approve you. If you have been part time since 2016, then I would stay that the chances of refusal are high. Again, whether it's refused or approved will be up to CIC.
2. I would apply online. Based on what we've seen on this forum, only very straight-forward cases are approved at the border (i.e. those where someone has clearly studied full time and met all of the PGWP requirements).
3. If the PGWP is refused, then you have a few options. If you want to remain in Canada and work, you would need to find an employer willing to offer you a full time job and also able to obtain an approved LMIA. You can then apply for a closed work permit. Or you can decide to return to school (e.g. take a Masters) and then apply for a PGWP once you're finished that additional schooling. Or of course you could also decide to leave Canada.

usman2261

Mar 24, 2018
I am an international student in Quebec. I am going to finish my undergraduate degree this December 2017. I was going to apply PGWP but today I learned that one of the requirements is to have been a full-time student except the last academic session. I had personal issues going on for the past two years and I failed some courses and had a surgery because of chronic sinus infection. I've been still full-time although there were other issues happening but I became a part-time in 2016 fall semester (from September 2016) and have been part-time so far. Can I apply for PGWP if I explain valid reasons to why I studied part-time for the last three semesters before graduation? For CAQ which requires me to be a full-time student as well, I showed proof and was able to obtain them twice without a problem. Does the government accept valid excuses for PGWP as well?

1. Can I apply for PGWP in my case? Do they have exemptions for their full-time requirement or is it absolutely required?
2. If I apply at the border rather than online and bring all the documents to prove that there was a valid reason, would this be a better option as I will be able to explain face to face?
3. If I am not eligible to apply, what's next? What am I supposed to apply for?

Thank you in advance. Please help.

Hi,

Do you have any update regarding your case? did you end up getting the PGWP?