+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(PGWP) Only one part-time semester, will I get rejected?

js0303

Sep 18, 2019
Hi, I recently graduated and I am now trying to apply for PGWP.

My school uses 3 semesters(3 semesters: Fall - Spring - Summer), and the summer semester is regarded as a scheduled break semester (normally), so the advisor told that taking a break in the summer term will not affect on PGWP applying.

Btw, I took only 2 courses (7 credits) in only Spring 2017 term due to the level of difficulty (dropped 1 course out of 3 courses to change my major to the other department) and took a break in summer 2017 term.

After that, I maintained full-time status until the last term and I even took 14 credits in my last term to graduate on time. I tried my best to get a high GPA and ended up with 3.81.

I read several threads, someone said only one time of part-time semester will not affect on PGWP, but others said it has a possibility to get rejected.

I am writing a letter of explanation of why I dropped one course and took part-time in Spring 2017. Will this letter of explanation help me getting PGWP?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Technically you are only allowed to be part time in last semester.
However officers are allowed to give some leeway so it will depend on the officer.

js0303

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks for your comment. Then, I need to pray that nice and gentle officer will check my documents.

js0303

Sep 18, 2019
Unfortunately, I got rejected. CIC officer said my single part-time semester was the problem.
There are pros and cons uploading the additional document about the reasons why you took a part-time semester.
Sometimes, they just skip reading the transcript if applicants do not upload the additional document.
Anyhow, I re-applied PGWP with the doctor's notes from my eye clinic and I re-wrote the additional document.
Personally, I strongly recommend you to work with any immigration agency. They will help you a lot if you pay around 300 dollars.
Good luck, and hope you get it.

Reactions: droolphase

js0303

Sep 18, 2019
Hi ,
Did you get PGWP??
I got rejected 2 months ago, so now I re-applied on January with doctor's note and some additional documents to excuse why I took a part time semester.
I am waiting for the other application.

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
I am in the similar situation . I took 3 courses in my second last semester but withdrawl one course. But rest of all the semesters i was full time. Do you think i need to add doctor note??
Why do you need doctors note ? Were you sick within semester ? Note - you can’t use fake doctors note as cic may verify it. I already told in last thread talk to lawyer

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lawyer also suggest that if you took ome semester part time ot shoild be fine
You are only allowed to be part-time in your last semester. As it wasn't your last semester, you don't actually qualify for a PGWP.

Davidbui16

Aug 9, 2020
Hi, I recently graduated and I am now trying to apply for PGWP.

My school uses 3 semesters(3 semesters: Fall - Spring - Summer), and the summer semester is regarded as a scheduled break semester (normally), so the advisor told that taking a break in the summer term will not affect on PGWP applying.

Btw, I took only 2 courses (7 credits) in only Spring 2017 term due to the level of difficulty (dropped 1 course out of 3 courses to change my major to the other department) and took a break in summer 2017 term.

After that, I maintained full-time status until the last term and I even took 14 credits in my last term to graduate on time. I tried my best to get a high GPA and ended up with 3.81.

I read several threads, someone said only one time of part-time semester will not affect on PGWP, but others said it has a possibility to get rejected.

I am writing a letter of explanation of why I dropped one course and took part-time in Spring 2017. Will this letter of explanation help me getting PGWP?
do you get any updates?

droolphase

Sep 26, 2022
Unfortunately, I got rejected. CIC officer said my single part-time semester was the problem.
There are pros and cons uploading the additional document about the reasons why you took a part-time semester.
Sometimes, they just skip reading the transcript if applicants do not upload the additional document.
Anyhow, I re-applied PGWP with the doctor's notes from my eye clinic and I re-wrote the additional document.
Personally, I strongly recommend you to work with any immigration agency. They will help you a lot if you pay around 300 dollars.
Good luck, and hope you get it.
Can you recommend an immigration agency ?