CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
A family of 4 here: 2 adults, 2 kids. In Canada since 2011.
The expiry date of our work permits and study permits is early March 2018.
Applied for PR through Express Entry in summer 2017.

I was mislead to think that the term "Implied status" is what you get while you're waiting for your PR application decision, so I didn't think I needed to extend my PGWP, so I did not apply to for an extension. It's only shortly after our permits expired that we realized the "implied status" was what you get when you apply for the bridge extension of the PGWP. Thus, all my family lost status.

We stopped working immediately. However my boss is kind enough to assure me he would wait for me to finish my PR hassle. But he, understandably, can't wait forever.

Today our CoPRs and our passports arrived. The passports have stickers with Immigrant visas, single-entry.
I called IRCC Call Centre to arrange an appointment, the agent says I can't arrange an appointment due to my lost status, and the only option is to go through a PoE. The agent also sent me an email saying we need to come to the PoE and show, among other papers, the below:

proof of legal status in Canada, such as:
  • valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit or visitor record, or
  • proof of implied status, such as:
    • payment receipt,
    • copy or printout of paper or online extension application,
    • proof of mailing or online submission,
    • etc.,
I am desperate. I can't show them those because I our WPs and SPs have expired, and we have no implied status. The only thing I could show them is the printouts and payment receipts for the Status Restoration Application. But does that count?

Please, any feedback is appreciated.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A family of 4 here: 2 adults, 2 kids. In Canada since 2011.
The expiry date of our work permits and study permits is early March 2018.
Applied for PR through Express Entry in summer 2017.

I was mislead to think that the term "Implied status" is what you get while you're waiting for your PR application decision, so I didn't think I needed to extend my PGWP, so I did not apply to for an extension. It's only shortly after our permits expired that we realized the "implied status" was what you get when you apply for the bridge extension of the PGWP. Thus, all my family lost status.

We stopped working immediately. However my boss is kind enough to assure me he would wait for me to finish my PR hassle. But he, understandably, can't wait forever.

Today our CoPRs and our passports arrived. The passports have stickers with Immigrant visas, single-entry.
I called IRCC Call Centre to arrange an appointment, the agent says I can't arrange an appointment due to my lost status, and the only option is to go through a PoE. The agent also sent me an email saying we need to come to the PoE and show, among other papers, the below:

proof of legal status in Canada, such as:
  • valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit or visitor record, or
    • payment receipt,
    • etc.,
I am desperate. I can't show them those because I our WPs and SPs have expired, and we have no implied status. The only thing I could show them is the printouts and payment receipts for the Status Restoration Application. But does that count?

Please, any feedback is appreciated.
That doesn't seem right. If you go to a POE to flagpole, you are actually leaving Canada and returning as a new entry, with a valid IM-1 visa.

Can you copy the complete email here, removing personal information first.

igoryen

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
... Can you copy the complete email here, removing personal information first.
Please do not reply to this email.

Date: 2018-03-22

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Validating a Confirmation of permanent residence at a border

Once you have obtained your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5688) and, if applicable, your permanent resident visa, you can proceed towards a Port of Entry in Canada for validation by a Canadian Border Services Officer in order to confirm your new status.

To accomplish this final step in your immigration process, you will have to:

• Leave and re-enter Canada,
    • this can be done by entering the U.S. at a land border, by ferry or by flying out to any other country and back into Canada,
  • Inform the officer you need to validate your Confirmation of Permanent Residence,
  • Show the following documents:
    • passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil, if applicable),
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence and instructions issued by the visa office,
    • proof of legal status in Canada, such as:
        • payment receipt,
        • etc.,
    • (if applicable) all temporary resident documents in your possession, whether valid or not, and
    • (if applicable) CSQ (if you are settling in Québec).
Useful information:

• To find the port of entry (POE) closest to you that offers the full range of immigration services, you can visit the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) website.
  • You can expect to encounter extended delays at the land border POE and/or that some immigration services may not be offered, particularly during weekends and holidays.
  • It is important to verify in advance if you require a visa to enter the U.S. and to contact CBSA for the POE opening hours.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I see nothing in either OB 545 - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2013/545-modified-december-6-2016.html or Enf 4 (section 12) - https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf that requires proof of previous legal status in Canada when processing a COPR at the POE.

I think that you can probably ignore the emailed requirement.

Let's see what others think about it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can’t extend a PGWP so you would have been in the same position. The only way you could have continued working is to get an LMIA and then apply for a work permit.

igoryen

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
Doc's Request.
12-03-2018
LANDED..........
24-03-2018
Thank you, zardoz, but I don't want to risk it and will just apply for status restoration so I could have something to show as a legal status.