+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - LMIA exempt Reason

paradis

Mar 27, 2023
Hello,

I am a PGWP holder with a job offer (TEER 2).
I come across this question when creating my Federal Express Entry Profile.
"Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?"
Options to answer are the following:
  1. YES
  2. NO
  3. NO-my work permit is exempt form an LMIA due to an international agreement
  4. NO-my work permit is exempt form an LMIA due to a Federal-Provincial Agreement
  5. NO-my work permit is exempt form an LMIA for other reasons and is employer-specific
It is my understanding that PGWP is EXEMPT for LMIA but I am not quite not sure which of the selections between 2, 3, or 4 would be the best answer.
Selection #5 is not applicable because my work permit is not employer-specific, rather it is an open work permit.

Can anyone advise? Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am a PGWP holder with a job offer (TEER 2).
I come across this question when creating my Federal Express Entry Profile.
"Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?"
Options to answer are the following:
  1. YES
  2. NO
  3. NO-my work permit is exempt form an LMIA due to an international agreement
  4. NO-my work permit is exempt form an LMIA due to a Federal-Provincial Agreement
  5. NO-my work permit is exempt form an LMIA for other reasons and is employer-specific
It is my understanding that PGWP is EXEMPT for LMIA but I am not quite not sure which of the selections between 2, 3, or 4 would be the best answer.
Selection #5 is not applicable because my work permit is not employer-specific, rather it is an open work permit.

Can anyone advise? Thank you.
1. Is NO.
a PGWP is not a LMIA exempt permit. It is a open work permit.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Hi Paradis, I am sailing on the same boat and wanted to check if it helped you fetching the 50points? If yes, then did you get the ITA processed smoothly where IRCC agreed to it?
Open work permits or PGWP one is not eligible for the employer offer 50 points unless Employer have got an LMIA. Only for those on closed work permits and have offer from the same employer with one more year of work, can get that 50 points without LMIA

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Paradis, I am sailing on the same boat and wanted to check if it helped you fetching the 50points? If yes, then did you get the ITA processed smoothly where IRCC agreed to it?
OP was on a PGWP so no 50 points unless the employer obtained an approved LMIA.

SANKEERT

Jun 2, 2023
You don’t have a job offer if you don’t have a LMIA or LMIA exemption. You say no to job offer too.
I read that PGWP in itself is LMIA exempt (pasted below) - that is one reason I was hoping to get the 50 but realized its not the case.

The Post Graduation Work Permit gives international students the chance to work after graduation by granting a Canada work permit for up to three years.

The PGWP is exempt from Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirements.

The candidate must have attended a recognized post-secondary school, or a secondary school that offers qualifying programs, for at least eight months.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I read that PGWP in itself is LMIA exempt (pasted below) - that is one reason I was hoping to get the 50 but realized its not the case.

The Post Graduation Work Permit gives international students the chance to work after graduation by granting a Canada work permit for up to three years.

The PGWP is exempt from Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirements.

The candidate must have attended a recognized post-secondary school, or a secondary school that offers qualifying programs, for at least eight months.
A LMIA exempt for the 50 points are for certain positions (company transfer, FTA) and PGWP is not included. This question is asked numerous times per week, and you are not eligible for the 50 points.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Try asking for your employer for assistance if they value your work last few months, They might be willing yo get you an LMIA which should help you gather that 50 points on your PGWP also.