+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP + LMIA= 2 work permits?

red2seats

Jan 23, 2020
Hi all, thank you for your time.
Just wonder if I have got post grad work permit and and at the same time en employer can offer me LMIA, so at that moment i will be holding 2 work permits, is this possible?

Or do i need to disclaim the post grad wp in order to obtain lmia points??

Reactions: Pgill2609

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
Just wonder if I have got post grad work permit and and at the same time en employer can offer me LMIA, so at that moment i will be holding 2 work permits, is this possible?

You can have as.many work permits you want

Reactions: red2seats

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You would lose the PGWP if you apply for a closed work permit based on an LMIA.

However, note that if the employer gets a new positive LMIA naming you and issues you a job offer that meets the requirements, you don't require a closed work permit to get the 50 points.

red2seats

Jan 23, 2020

However, note that if the employer gets a new positive LMIA naming you and issues you a job offer that meets the requirements, you don't require a closed work permit to get the 50 points.
Hi, thank you for that useful info. Are you meant that the employer apply for lmia for me, if the cic assessed this employer and approved, i dont need to reapply work permit, still able to get 50 points as long as i hv this new valid lmia qualification?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, thank you for that useful info. Are you meant that the employer apply for lmia for me, if the cic assessed this employer and approved, i dont need to reapply work permit, still able to get 50 points as long as i hv this new valid lmia qualification?
IRCC doesn't have anything to do with approving LMIAs.

Employers can apply for LMIAs to just support PR apps. These LMIAs can be used to get job offer points but not to apply for a work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
To simplify things up, your employer should apply for a LMIA for supporting PR purpose in order to give you additional 50 points. you don't need to apply for a new work permit after the LMIA is approved. You can continue using your PGWP.

Last edited:

red2seats

Jan 23, 2020
To simplify things up, your employer should have for a LMIA for supporting PR purpose in order to give you additional 50 points. you don't need to apply for a new work permit after the LMIA is approved. You can continue using your PGWP.
Thanks for clarification.

red2seats

Jan 23, 2020
To simplify things up, your employer should apply for a LMIA for supporting PR purpose in order to give you additional 50 points. you don't need to apply for a new work permit after the LMIA is approved. You can continue using your PGWP.
Thank you for your time, just want to confirm how should they start?

Apply for lmia assesement> waiting for officer assesement interview> got approval letter = i hv got 50 points?

At the same time I can still holding PGWP to work?

Thanks!

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
Thank you for your time, just want to confirm how should they start?

Apply for lmia assesement> waiting for officer assesement interview> got approval letter = i hv got 50 points?

At the same time I can still holding PGWP to work?

Thanks!
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, after their LMIA application got approved, you can answer YES to the question "do you have a valid job offer" in EE system, then fill in your LMIA file # and other information. Then you EE score will update and give you additional 50 points.

uv_thind

Jul 18, 2020

[/QUO
IRCC doesn't have anything to do with approving LMIAs.

Employers can apply for LMIAs to just support PR apps. These LMIAs can be used to get job offer points but not to apply for a work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html
Hi,
Can you please update which documents you upload for EE. I also got LMIA approval for Permanent residence stream. I am on PGWP. I received an ITA and now I have to submit documents - Offer of employment,
Letter of Employment and Employment Verification. Can you please help me and provide me the sample letter if possible.
Thank you kindly in advance

yoks20

May 14, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vfs manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
July 5, 2019
Doc's Request.
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
04-07-2019
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Hello everyone! I need help regarding my work permit. I left my job to my previous employer because i found a new job, so, i have my 2 valid work permit & will expire both next yr. Is it possible to go back to my previous employer without applying new permit? i still have my previous work permit and not expired yet. Should i need to apply a new work permit for my previous employer? Any help? Thank you.

Vrunda b

Apr 15, 2024
Is it still the same ? I have valid PGWP until 2026 and my employer offering me LMIA should I need to apply for close work permit ?