+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp holders can travel to canada or not during covid

Rohitjaswal

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
So the situation is that my PGWP approved by 2 months ago and I stranded in India from the last 4 months. Presently, I have a flight with the Emirates on 22 July from Delhi to Toronto (if ban lift by Indian govt). Still, I have confusion related to this paragraph which I got from the official IRCC website. According to this,

Essential (non-discretionary) travel for a temporary worker
Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific), and
    • has a valid job offer, and
    • can work once you’ve completed your 14-day quarantine in Canada (unless you’re exempt)
So basically I had a job letter which states that I am working with the restaurant since July 2018 and currently working with Mandarin (letter issued on Feb 22, before I travel to India). Presently I got laid off from that restaurant and I am in India. Can someone explain that,

1. Can I travel to Canada because basically, I am a taxpayer of Canada, have lease paper as well as hold SIN number and living in Canada but got stranded due to COVID.

2. Or I need a job letter which states that I will work there once I reach to Canada.

heena_1994

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
So the situation is that my PGWP approved by 2 months ago and I stranded in India from the last 4 months. Presently, I have a flight with the Emirates on 22 July from Delhi to Toronto (if ban lift by Indian govt). Still, I have confusion related to this paragraph which I got from the official IRCC website. According to this,

Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific), and
    • can work once you’ve completed your 14-day quarantine in Canada (unless you’re exempt)
So basically I had a job letter which states that I am working with the restaurant since July 2018 and currently working with Mandarin (letter issued on Feb 22, before I travel to India). Presently I got laid off from that restaurant and I am in India. Can someone explain that,

1. Can I travel to Canada because basically, I am a taxpayer of Canada, have lease paper as well as hold SIN number and living in Canada but got stranded due to COVID.

2. Or I need a job letter which states that I will work there once I reach to Canada.
1. Yes
2. You have to show job letter at airport, along with work permit only then you are allowed to board .. i came three days ago and at airport they checked my work permit and job letter..

Reactions: Rohitjaswal

Rohitjaswal

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
1. Yes
2. You have to show job letter at airport, along with work permit only then you are allowed to board .. i came three days ago and at airport they checked my work permit and job letter..
Thanks for your response @heena_1994. Job letter is fine but mine work permit in Canadian address. I was in india when my work permit got approved. So as you said, i need that along with my papers. So, somebody have to send that to my indian address.

One more thing, I am still traveling on study permit and study visa because that documents valid till 2021 april. Is there any problem with that too?

You are also on post graduation work permit?.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

• You’re a worker who

Disagree. I think PGWP should be able to return without a job. If you have a spouse with SOWP and no job he/she would not be able to board. Not a bad idea to send in a webform and ask your question so you have concrete proof if you are questioned at the airport. Would send in the webform ASAP.

Ali@12345

Jan 8, 2020
1. Yes
Hi @heena_1994

1. I am also stuck in India since March 2020 and i am on my PGWP working remotely from India , would that cause any problem in immigration upon my return as its been mpre than 6 months now ?
2.Also . When you refer to job letter , what should be the content in the job letter ? does it only have to mention that i am employee of the company and would need to return to Canada, Let me know , Thanks in advance ,