+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP: Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year? [INDIA]

sup1208

May 19, 2022
Hi,

I have graduated from college and I'm now applying for PGWP. I see two questions that are very confusing to me.

1. Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
- I had my medical exam in November 2020. At the time of writing this thread, it is May 2022. So my answer would be "NO".

2. Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?
- I lived in India until June 2021. At the time of writing this thread, it is May 2022. India is on the designated country list.

I'm in Canada for 11 months now so that means I should answer "NO". But what does last year mean? This is 2022. Is this question asking if I have lived in a designated country for 6 months in 2021 (because that's the last year), or is it asking if I have lived in a designated country the year before I come to Canada (because that would also be last year), or is it asking if I have lived in a designated country between May 2021 - May 2022 (Because that's the last year from today. At the time of writing this thread, it is May 2022)

My friends who applied for PGWP last semester did not submit a medical test report so I'm not sure what's the right way to look at it. Has anything changed in the past few months?

Note: Please include your sources while answering. Thanks.

Reactions: iona_s22

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
Hi,

I have graduated from college and I'm now applying for PGWP. I see two questions that are very confusing to me.

1. Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
- I had my medical exam in November 2020. At the time of writing this thread, it is May 2022. So my answer would be "NO".

2. Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?
- I lived in India until June 2021. At the time of writing this thread, it is May 2022. India is on the designated country list.

I'm in Canada for 11 months now so that means I should answer "NO". But what does last year mean? This is 2022. Is this question asking if I have lived in a designated country for 6 months in 2021 (because that's the last year), or is it asking if I have lived in a designated country the year before I come to Canada (because that would also be last year), or is it asking if I have lived in a designated country between May 2021 - May 2022 (Because that's the last year from today. At the time of writing this thread, it is May 2022)

My friends who applied for PGWP last semester did not submit a medical test report so I'm not sure what's the right way to look at it. Has anything changed in the past few months?

Note: Please include your sources while answering. Thanks.
I have the exact same dilemma as if you click yes and continue it finally says if you lived 6 months outside canada in the 'past' year only then you need to give a medical exam. I have been living in canada for 9 months now. But I went ahead and took a medical appointment as It states I have to do it and if I wait it will take longer to process.
May I ask, What did you do finally?

sup1208

May 19, 2022
I have the exact same dilemma as if you click yes and continue it finally says if you lived 6 months outside canada in the 'past' year only then you need to give a medical exam. I have been living in canada for 9 months now. But I went ahead and took a medical appointment as It states I have to do it and if I wait it will take longer to process.
May I ask, What did you do finally?
I did not book a medical exam. In my case it is not necessary. If you are in a medical profession/school you may have to do the test.

Ohmcdonalds

May 28, 2024
Hello! I’m facing the exact dilemma. May I know did you answer ‘No’ in your case for the question? Or ‘Yes’ but the officer ultimately exempted the medical test? And is the permit approved already? Thank you very much.